Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: And now comes the REAL test  (Read 6898 times)

Offline alaingomez

• Cellarman
Re: And now comes the REAL test
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 06:04:36 pm »

He found us really.  We won a local pro-am and brewed with him, on his system.  He encouraged and helped us through the TTB and LCB process, and bought our first keg.  And before the night was over, I brought him a second.  It was so wild.  We brought the keg down about 4pm yesterday.  Some out of town folks were there, and one had a pint right away.  They were homebrewers from Seattle.  (I'm 100 miles West of Seattle)  They shared that pint, got up, and bought three growlers. 

Of course my head grew about three sizes with that......   LOL

That's so cool!  Best of luck.

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 07:59:23 pm »
I read you are only doing ten gallon batches.  That's an awesome way to start out!  Can you post pics of your brewing setup?
Scott B

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 09:18:43 am »
I read you are only doing ten gallon batches.  That's an awesome way to start out!  Can you post pics of your brewing setup?

I can, but it'll be a bit.  But, you can also just go to the Blichmann website.  I use their top-tier, with three keggles, burners at each level, total garvity.  I have four big chest freezers with controllers for fermentation and aging.  Big three basin stainless sink with returns on each side.  Just got my MM-3 monster mill, and picking up corny's whereever I can.  I have about 30 right now. 

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 09:44:17 am »

I can, but it'll be a bit.  But, you can also just go to the Blichmann website.  I use their top-tier, with three keggles, burners at each level, total garvity.  I have four big chest freezers with controllers for fermentation and aging.  Big three basin stainless sink with returns on each side.  Just got my MM-3 monster mill, and picking up corny's whereever I can.  I have about 30 right now.
Fantastic!  Is this all in your home or in a separate building?  Different states have different regulations.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:47:41 am by FirstStateBrewer »
Scott B

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 09:47:16 am »

Is this all in your home or in a separate building?  Different states have different regulations.

It's in a seperate building on our residential property.  We had to request a variance from federal law from the TTB.  But, it's so common to issue these variances, the TTB sent us the form letter to request the variance, and we just filled int he blanks.

We could never have done this if we had to rent or lease additional space. 

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 09:55:10 am »
Is this all in your home or in a separate building?  Different states have different regulations.

It's in a seperate building on our residential property.  We had to request a variance from federal law from the TTB.  But, it's so common to issue these variances, the TTB sent us the form letter to request the variance, and we just filled int he blanks.

Very interesting! 

I live in a development with plenty of room in my back yard to build.  But, I'm not sure if there are any zoning laws prohibiting that or not.  I'll have to look into it.  It would be awesome to do the exact same thing as you, some day.

Do you have a "day job", as well?
Scott B

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 10:11:12 am »

Very interesting! 

I live in a development with plenty of room in my back yard to build.  But, I'm not sure if there are any zoning laws prohibiting that or not.  I'll have to look into it.  It would be awesome to do the exact same thing as you, some day.

Do you have a "day job", as well?

Oh yea, there's no money in brewing at this scale.  Although, now that I can buy grain direct from Country Malt Group, it does make it better.  And I team up with the brewery that helped us to save on shipping.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 10:27:13 am »
This is very cool.  I'm real happy for you. Congrats! :)

Ron Price

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 10:48:09 am »
How many batches do you brew in a week?
Scott B

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 10:49:54 am »
This is very cool.  I'm real happy for you. Congrats! :)
Very inspiring, isn't it?
Scott B

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 10:58:35 am »

Well, it's only been a month, so we havn't really settled in to a routine.  But so far, we've been brewing just two batches a week.  With some things going on in our personal lives, (getting married) we have not ramped up to full production yet.  We do both batches same day, and can get 20 gallons in the fermenters in about 7-8 hours.   

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2012, 11:11:58 am »

Well, it's only been a month, so we havn't really settled in to a routine.  But so far, we've been brewing just two batches a week.  With some things going on in our personal lives, (getting married) we have not ramped up to full production yet.  We do both batches same day, and can get 20 gallons in the fermenters in about 7-8 hours.
What brewery(s) will you be touring on your honeymoon?   ;)
Scott B

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2012, 11:20:31 am »

What brewery(s) will you be touring on your honeymoon?   ;)

Good call dude.  We are headed down to Oregon, so there are many.  Dechuttes, Rogue, Ninkasi, mcminimens, etc...... 

(and Denny if you are reading this, we may get close to Noti........)

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2012, 11:28:13 am »
Good call dude.  We are headed down to Oregon, so there are many.  Dechuttes, Rogue, Ninkasi, mcminimens, etc...... 

(and Denny if you are reading this, we may get close to Noti........)
Great minds think alike!  Cheers!
Scott B

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 09:37:35 am »
Congratulations, Mic! This is an inspiring story.  Does your wife help you brew? I assume that's why you're saying "we" with everything.
Jesse