Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Drilling through freezer compartment into fridge  (Read 12634 times)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Drilling through freezer compartment into fridge
« on: August 15, 2012, 07:13:31 pm »
I have an opportunity to get a 5-year-old fridge for free from my neighbor.  The fan blowing cold air from the freezer into the fridge is broken.  I was thinking of getting the fridge and just drilling hole(s) through the bottom of the freezer into the fridge so I don't need to replace the fan.  I don't need the freezer. Good idea?  Any tips to make sure I don't drill through something important?  A search on the internet didn't reveal much.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Drilling through freezer compartment into fridge
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 07:29:39 pm »
You might just make a bigger freezer, unless you're hooking it up to a temp controller.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 07:45:49 pm »
Cool air is more dense than warm air so it sinks.  The fan may be needed if the freezer is below the fridge. The broken fan wouldn't be as big of an issue if the freezer was above the fridge.  But if you're getting it for free...
Brian
mobrewer

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 08:16:50 pm »
You might just make a bigger freezer, unless you're hooking it up to a temp controller.

Good point.  I may not really be saving any money up front.  Plus I'm likely to interfere with the self-defrost.

Offline harbicide

• Cellarman
  • Barkeeper's Friend will not passivate stainless.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 11:01:10 am »
To answer your question about tips:  leave the door of the freezer open and see if you can detect where the coolant lines are by condensation forming.

Even if that works, for each hole you want to drill, first barely pierce the plastic liner.  Then probe about with a nail to see if a coolant line is beneath the pierced hole or is close that the drill could nick it.
On Tap: 10 yr old Barleywine, Porter, Vienna Lager

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 01:24:50 pm »
Can you get a replacement fan online?  How big of a job is it to fix?
Dave Zach

Offline khillje

• Assistant Brewer
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 01:37:48 pm »
I did this before with a fridge that was on it's last legs.  It definitely worked.  For a while.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 01:41:25 pm »
most of the time those fans are easy to fix and replace.
Don AHA member

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 08:30:50 am »
To answer your question about tips:  leave the door of the freezer open and see if you can detect where the coolant lines are by condensation forming.

Even if that works, for each hole you want to drill, first barely pierce the plastic liner.  Then probe about with a nail to see if a coolant line is beneath the pierced hole or is close that the drill could nick it.

Good advice.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 08:35:43 am »
The fridge that my neighbor is giving me is working again so I don't need to fix it for now.  If the fan needs fixing, I'll just replace it because it'll be nice to have an ice maker even if it is in the basement and because of other unintended consequences.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 10:15:38 am »
The coils on my old beer fridge are between the freezer and the fridge so drilling there would destroy the whole fridge.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 11:11:33 am »
Here's what I did: Once I moved the fridge it stopped working.  Armed with the part number for the fan, I was able to find a replacement fan for $25 inc. shipping on EBay rather than $80 when I only knew the model number of the fridge.  At $25, the cost was too low to fix the fridge properly.  Besides no having the fan would have been tremendously inefficient for the fridge.  I'm going to connect the icemaker and the cold water dispenser to serve other beverages in the house.  At some point, I'll consider putting taps through the fridge but the water dispenser in the fridge door makes me think I'll have to put the taps through the side.