Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Efficiency Issues  (Read 4917 times)

Offline malzig

• Brewer
Re: Efficiency Issues
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 04:31:43 am »
Thank you everyone for your advice.  Much appreciated!  So if I do 2qt/1lb for the mash, how much water should I use for the batch sparge?

Here is the info from my last batch:

OG - 1.055
With a decent efficiency, you should hit 1.055 with 9-10# of grain.
For 10#, you would mash in with 5 gallons, lose 1.2 gallons to absorption, and get 3.8 gallons first runnings.  You could then batch sparge with 2.7 gallons, if your pre-boil kettle volume target was 6.5 gallons.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 10:15:36 am »
Thank you everyone for your advice.  Much appreciated!  So if I do 2qt/1lb for the mash, how much water should I use for the batch sparge?

Here is the info from my last batch:

9lbs - Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)
3lbs - Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM)
8oz - Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM)
8oz - Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
4oz - Acid Malt (3.0 SRM)
4oz - Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)
4oz - Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)

OG - 1.055

whatever you need to get to your total boil volume.  After you runoff the mash, measure how much wort you have.  subtract that from the amount you want to boil.  The answer you get is how much sparge water to use.  Yes, it's really just that easy!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 10:17:26 am »
Wow, that's a busy recipe. It's completely unrelated to efficiency, but I'd say not to use more than 4 malts at a time if you can help it, unless you have a clear and compelling reason to do so.

I don't think you need to set a number of malts to use, but you do have to be able to have a reason for every one in there.  You need to think about what it will do to the overall flavor of the beer. 

To the OP....can you explain why each of those malts is there?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell