Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Efficiency Issues  (Read 4944 times)

Offline jbourret

• 1st Kit
Efficiency Issues
« on: August 12, 2012, 08:35:25 am »
I've been following directions on two all grain brews now, and both times got low efficiency.
I am mashing in a lauter tun (a ten gallon rubermaid).  I keep getting the right temperatures in the tun (152F).  I leave it in to mash for 60 minutes.  Then I do a batch sparge and leave that in for 20 minutes before draining the sparge as well.

The ammount of water I use is per BeerSmith2.  And both times I got close to my 5.5 gallons.
So am I missing something?  Why am I not getting high efficiency?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My recent efficiency was 56%.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Efficiency Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 08:48:10 am »
What are your recipe details including water volumes? Have you calibrated your thermometer and hydrometer?

Give us a step by step breakdown of process as well.
Ron Price

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Efficiency Issues
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 09:11:47 am »
Do you buy from the LHBS? The gap may be set wide, so that the crush is course, which will give a mash that will not stick as easy, but the efficiency will be low.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 10:14:39 am »
Then I do a batch sparge and leave that in for 20 minutes before draining the sparge as well.

It won't affect your efficiency, but you really don't need to do this.  There's no benefit from it.  Just stir in the sparge water, vorlauf, and run off.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 10:15:39 am »
I think Jeff is probably right that's not a very fine crush. The difference between 56% efficiency and 70% is like $2 worth of grain. I wouldn't stress about it as long as it's consistent. Efficiency isn't inherently good, but I'd argue consistency is.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 10:21:34 am »
Efficiency isn't inherently good, but I'd argue consistency is.

Here, Here!  I would gladly trade the 80-88% efficiency I've been getting for the constant 78% I used to get.  I would gladly get a 60% if I knew I could hit my target every time.  I've been chasing my tail for almost a year since we moved.  Frustrating beyond words  >:(

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 10:29:04 am »
I think Jeff is probably right that's not a very fine crush. The difference between 56% efficiency and 70% is like $2 worth of grain. I wouldn't stress about it as long as it's consistent. Efficiency isn't inherently good, but I'd argue consistency is.

+1
That being agreed upon, I found one of the biggest improvements to my efficiency was when I loosened up my mash a bit.  I too was brewing in round coolers and adjusting my strike water to sometimes under a ltr/# to make 10-11 gal recipes fit in my cooler. When I scaled back my recipe by a gallon or so, so I could maintain around 1.5 ltrs/# of grain instead of reducing the strike water volume, it improved my efficiency by about 5% and this has remained consistent in subsequent brews. 
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 11:13:29 am »
Yeah, that's about the same amount I improved by going to thinner mashes.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 12:41:58 pm »
Once you learn how to get complete conversion on your system, your efficiency should become very consistent. 

You should read Kai's instructions for understanding and troubleshooting efficiency and start measuring your Conversion Efficiency.

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 02:24:56 pm »
Yeah, I'd like to see the recipe's grain bill and SG, and the actual efficiency you're getting, i.e., what %?  You might want to check your grain after it's been crushed for unbroken kernels.  In my past experience, low efficiency has nearly always been the result of a poor crush.  Are you by chance using a large percent of wheat?

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 05:22:36 pm »
+1 on the thinner mash.

The difference between 65% and 85% efficiency is that you get about 25% more husks into your beer with the 65% efficiency. This can have a negative affect on flavor.

In general I do think that low efficiency due to poor mash conversion should be addressed. In many cases a thinner mash (2 qt/lb) will not only make stirring the mash easier but also give you a bump in efficiency. The next big ting whould be getting a finer crush for the gain. But if you get you grains milled at a HBS, changing that might be difficult since they don't like to change the gap setting.

In addition to that you can also mash longer. Especially in addition to the thin mash. If you have a refractometer (it also works with a hydrometer but not as elegantly) you can asses the level of mash conversion with the Mash Gravity Test (http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Troubleshooting_Brewhouse_Efficiency#Determining_Conversion_Efficiency). Don't be scared by the formulas, just use the table on the right.

Kai

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 08:53:07 pm »
The next big ting whould be getting a finer crush for the gain. But if you get you grains milled at a HBS, changing that might be difficult since they don't like to change the gap setting.

If they won't change the gap, then you could ask them to mill the grain a second time which should at least help a little bit.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 10:25:59 pm »
In addition to a thin mash, a long dextrinization rest at 160 - 165 F after the regular saccharification rest can also help. The most practical way to get to this temp would be a boiling water infusion.

But try the thinner mash first to see where this gets you.

Kai

Offline jbourret

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 06:57:12 pm »
Thank you everyone for your advice.  Much appreciated!  So if I do 2qt/1lb for the mash, how much water should I use for the batch sparge?

Here is the info from my last batch:

9lbs - Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)
3lbs - Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM)
8oz - Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM)
8oz - Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
4oz - Acid Malt (3.0 SRM)
4oz - Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)
4oz - Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)

OG - 1.055

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 08:08:48 pm »
Wow, that's a busy recipe. It's completely unrelated to efficiency, but I'd say not to use more than 4 malts at a time if you can help it, unless you have a clear and compelling reason to do so.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.