Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 750mL bottle carbing  (Read 4051 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
750mL bottle carbing
« on: August 13, 2012, 06:39:06 am »
Is there any changes that need to be made for carbonating beer with corn sugar in 750mL bottles versus the normal 12oz bottles.  I have usually used 1cp corn sugar per five gallons in a normal beer.  Has anyone ever used the carbing calculators online to adjust carbonation for a higher level? 

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Re: 750mL bottle carbing
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 07:17:48 am »
No, the amount of sugar per volume of beer stays the same regardless of bottle size.

I always use a carbonation calculator when I plan to bottle condition the beer. It's a bit more precise and doesn't add that much work.

Kai

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 07:26:18 am »
Are you using champagne bottles? The flat bottom ones are good to about 5 volumes, punted are good to about 7 volumes. But, at room temp 5 volumes with a crown is pretty volatile so be careful. I'd cork and cage if you want to go that high.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 07:52:06 am »
No, the amount of sugar per volume of beer stays the same regardless of bottle size.

I always use a carbonation calculator when I plan to bottle condition the beer. It's a bit more precise and doesn't add that much work.

Kai
although trivial in this case, the amount of headspace does matter a scoche. example 20ml headspace in both bottles represents 20/355 vs 20/750. will change the pressure slightly.  this would be more relevant if you were putting 5 gallons of beer in a 10 gallon keg versus 5 gallons in a 5 gallon keg.  for what the op is doing it wouldn't matter, in fact i tend to bottle condition, some goes in 12 oz and some goes in the 750s or larger.  i put the priming sugar in the bucket and that is that.
Don AHA member

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 09:28:35 am »
for what the op is doing it wouldn't matter, in fact i tend to bottle condition, some goes in 12 oz and some goes in the 750s or larger.

Yes, I agree with that. The head space in bottles is too small to matter. In addition the CO2 difference in the head space (~ 2 volumes at 14 psi) and beer (~2.5 volumes)  is also very small.

Kai