Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Plastic crates  (Read 7945 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Plastic crates
« on: August 08, 2012, 03:56:22 pm »
Anyone use milk crates to store bottles? I've been using a collection of cardboard boxes to hold upwards of 6 six-packs and some 12-pack boxes the beer originally came in.

But I bottle in 24's, 16's (german wheat-beer bottles) and a variety of 12's (stubbies and long-necks). Don't really feel like "borrowing" any from the corner store but have seen milk-crate-esque crates at walmart and at the container store.

I know one day the bottom of the cardboard boxes will give way as I'm carrying my precious homebrew to the storage area. So am seeking alternatives. Wondering if the various bottles are a good fit and if this is a decent solution?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Plastic crates
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:16:19 pm »
There is a picture of those crates a few posts down.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=11307.0
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline the_pig

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 05:52:48 am »
I have some of those plastic milk crates that I use for larger bottles too.  There is a lot of variation in the size and shape of bottles (I've never bought any empty bottles, so my collection is quite "varied"), but I believe I normally get about 1/2 a 5 gallon batch in each crate.  Some of the bottles I have are pretty tall though so that crate has to be on top of the stack.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 07:11:25 am »
I mostly use copier/printer paper boxes.  While work likes to promote the "paperless workplace", the truth in anything but.  There're always lots of empty boxes around and they're tall enough to hold the various size bottles.  Got about 20 cases worth at the moment.
Joe

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 08:53:25 am »
I use wine cases.  They hold 12 bombers very nicely and are sturdy.

Free from the liquor store.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 02:05:35 pm »
I still use the cardboard boxes but I strengthened the bottom seams with packing tape. When I consider the upgrades I would like for home brewing I can't justify buying something that I can get free. My source for boxes is a nearby bar that goes through seven or eight cases of bud, bud light, miller lite every Friday and Saturday. If I need boxes I just swing by early the morning after and ask the guy cleaning up if he will let me have the empty boxes. He has always been very happy since it saves him breaking them down and hauling to the recycling center.
I'm only talking about six or eight cases of bottles in my entire inventory. Most of my turnover is kegged, which makes me happy. It is easy to add strength to the bottom of used cardboard beer boxes with a little packaging tape.
Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries - it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional 'liquid cereal' beverage.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 03:23:11 pm »
Anyone use milk crates to store bottles? I've been using a collection of cardboard boxes to hold upwards of 6 six-packs and some 12-pack boxes the beer originally came in.

But I bottle in 24's, 16's (german wheat-beer bottles) and a variety of 12's (stubbies and long-necks). Don't really feel like "borrowing" any from the corner store but have seen milk-crate-esque crates at walmart and at the container store.

I know one day the bottom of the cardboard boxes will give way as I'm carrying my precious homebrew to the storage area. So am seeking alternatives. Wondering if the various bottles are a good fit and if this is a decent solution?

I use them quite a bit.  And try to pick them whenever I can in a "somewhat legal" way.  I say somewhat, because some that I have are like Sankey kegs.  The dairy maintains ownership. 

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 08:36:38 am »
I keg most of my beers, but I keep enough bottles to bottle a full batch and use milk crates to store them.  A "standard" plastic milk crate holds 25 regular 12-oz bottles - so 2 crates hold an entire bottled 5-gallon batch.  They're also nice for storing empty bottles or for draining bottles after cleaning because the bottles can be put in the crates upside-down.  A milk crate also works well for carrying a 5- or 6-gallon carboy, and for holding a standard 20# propane tank so it doesn't tip over.  Search "plastic milk crate" on Amazon.com, and you'll find a set of four for around $25 + shipping that are the same as the commercial ones. 
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!