Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Do lagers take longer to start?  (Read 3862 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Do lagers take longer to start?
« on: July 30, 2012, 09:07:28 am »
I haven't brewed a lager in quite some time.  But, we brewed a Marzen (and my standard Amber) yesterday.  This morning, the Amber is bubbling like crazy, nothing from the Marzen.  It seems I remember that lagers do take longer, but it's been a couple years since I brewed such. 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Do lagers take longer to start?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 09:09:09 am »
They take longer to start, and to finish up at FG.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 09:52:16 am »
Yes, everything happens more slowly at lower (lager) temperatures
Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 09:53:35 am »
Lagers take longer to start if you do it right...meaning pitching at low temps.  Some people want a fast start and pitch at higher temps, but I've found that sacrifices flavor for fast start.  IMO, really short lag times are overrated!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 10:25:25 am »
Lagers take longer to start if you do it right...meaning pitching at low temps.  Some people want a fast start and pitch at higher temps, but I've found that sacrifices flavor for fast start.  IMO, really short lag times are overrated!

I got it down to about 58 with my plate chiller.  And pitched at that time.  Now have it at 50 degrees, with temp probe taped to side of bucket with some insulation.  The only problem is now I can't use that freezer for anything else.   

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 11:47:56 am »
That is a problem with lagers, yes.  But it helps to just brew a string of lagers while your freezer is set at those temps. 

I brewed a dunkel yesterday.  And before I put the fermenter in the freezer to cool down to pitching temps (because the ground water seems to be like 70F right now) I took about 1 to 2 quarts of the cooled wort and pitch my harvest 2124 yeast into that to start it up.  I pitched it a few hours later.  The wort wasn't cooled quite as much as I wanted, it was still like 58F.  But it started fairly quickly, which I'm starting to think is a bad thing now since I thought it meant I'd pitched enough yeast, but the wort was probably just a little warmer than it should have been (run on sentence, sweet!).  Last time I think I waited longer, like 5 or 6 hours, and the wort was chilled to pitching temp.  Don't know why I didn't this time...oh well. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 11:49:29 am by beersk »
Jesse

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 01:02:59 pm »
I got it down to about 58 with my plate chiller.  And pitched at that time.  Now have it at 50 degrees, with temp probe taped to side of bucket with some insulation.  The only problem is now I can't use that freezer for anything else.   

Next time, you might want to try waiting to pitch.  That is, chill it as far as you can with your plate chiller then stick it in the freezer.  Wait until it gets below 50F and then pitch.  Pitching as soon as possible isn't really the be all and end all.
Joe

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 02:52:17 pm »

Next time, you might want to try waiting to pitch.  That is, chill it as far as you can with your plate chiller then stick it in the freezer.  Wait until it gets below 50F and then pitch.  Pitching as soon as possible isn't really the be all and end all.
Indeed.  My problem was that I let a drop of chiller water fall into the wort when it was at about 120F and so I got super paranoid about infection.  So I only gave it 3 or so hours in the chest freezer to cool down and wanted to get the yeast pitch as soon as I could. I guess it's wait and see now...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 02:54:20 pm by beersk »
Jesse

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 05:03:44 pm »

not true. they tend to vanish faster for me 8)
Don AHA member

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 07:09:01 pm »

not true. they tend to vanish faster for me 8)

+1 After the proper amount of time lagering, time is inverted.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 02:27:55 pm »
OK, I sure did something wrong.  Yesterday, I figured I would check the gravity on this beer.  as soon as I got my tube filled I tasted it.  WOW, was it sweet.  OG was 1.060, yesterday it was 10.58.  Obviously something went wrong with that yeast.  But, I went down and got some dry lager yeast.  hydrated, and pitched.  This morning, just starting to barely bubble. 

I hope I saved it.  There were no off flavors, just SWEET.