Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: San Francisco  (Read 4743 times)

Offline cash

• 1st Kit
San Francisco
« on: October 10, 2012, 08:35:26 am »
Any suggestions for craft beer pubs etc in San Francisco this weekend?

Offline bwana

• Cellarman
Re: San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 09:03:04 am »
I am also interested as I will be there in three weeks!

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 09:11:49 am »
21st Ammendment always comes to mind.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 09:34:19 am »
La Trappe, if you like Belgians.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 09:55:12 am »
If you like dive bars try the Toronado in the Lower Haight. I like to use the N Juddah line on the MUNI to get to and from.

City Beer has a great botlle selection and a few great taps.

There are many others.
http://beerbybart.com/

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 10:57:55 am »
Magnolia pub on haight is good. decent pub style food as well. Often have something on cask as well.

There is a rogue public house on Union st.

+1 for city beer store it's good.

Thirsty bear... exists. (not bad, just not all that exceptional in my opinion)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

coastsidemike

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 09:53:36 am »
Pi Bar, on Valencia in the Mission.  They'll also have some unique finds from Europe by the bottle.    http://pibarsf.com/drink-menu

Thirsty Bear is a longtime favorite, in particular they'll have something from a up-and-coming local brewer in the cask.

The Public House next to AT&T Park will also will have kegs of from small local brewers.

There's great beer just about everywhere.  What I look for is a place with Drakes or Speakeasy on tap, like Zeitgeist http://www.zeitgeistsf.com/beer.html.

Lastly visit Whole Foods and try some singles from Moylan's.  The Whole Foods in Potrero Hill has a tap room now and occasionally puts local beers on 20% sale.

Cheers!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 11:52:43 am »
You could also bop over to the east bay on BART and chcek out beer revolution. they have some good stuff and most of what you drink you can grab a bottle of to take home.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

coastsidemike

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 12:45:06 pm »
You could also bop over to the east bay on BART and chcek out beer revolution. they have some good stuff and most of what you drink you can grab a bottle of to take home.

I've not been there but have only heard good things.  By chance, have you visited Drakes?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 12:59:04 pm »

I've not been there but have only heard good things.  By chance, have you visited Drakes?

I have not. I've driven by it a few times. It's a little harder to get to on public transit than beer revolution. I have yet to be rewlly blown away by anything I have had from them. But I also have not tried many of the seasonal offerings.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 01:03:34 pm »
I have visited Drake's many times. It is a great spot, but in an absurdly inconvenient location. That said, if they have the aroma coma on tap (check online), then it is probably worth the hassle.

In SF the places I recommend are Speakeasy (only open Friday 4-10 and Saturdays, I think), and maybe 21st Amendment (I don't like their beer, though). But about every bar in town has good beer and there is no reason to look for a "beer bar" because almost every bar will have a nice taplist (10-12 craft beers on tap is normal in SF). If you go to Zeitgeist (not what it once was) and there is a scary old lady selling tamales out of her cooler, BUY ONE! I recommend the cheese, but the pork is also very good.

Oakland and Berkeley are better beer destinations and BART will take you about everywhere you would need to see in Oakland and Berkeley. A list with the appropriate BART station: Triple Rock (Downtown Berkeley), Jupiter (Downtown Berkeley), Barclay's (Rockridge), Ben and Nick's (Rockridge), Beer Revolution (12th St Oakland), the Trappist (12th St Oakland), and Cato's Ale House (MacArthur - but you have to walk a half mile to get to Piedmont Ave.) are all decent spots.

If you go to Berkeley, I would eat at Jupiter and separately get beers at Triple Rock. Jupiter has better food - especially the pizza - and a really nice patio (and the guest beers are better than the housemade ones). But Triple Rock is iconic and their beer is a lot better than it was 5-10 years ago. They brew on the same system they have been using since they opened in the early 80's an you can see it all through a glass wall in the pub - it is interesting and very much like a scaled-up homebrew setup.