Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First timer here  (Read 4931 times)

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: First timer here
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 03:28:55 pm »
I have an extra cooler that I put my carboy in to begin fermentation.  I put an old dark t-shirt over it and about two inches of water in the cooler (w/out the lid on).  To cool it even more, I'll do as Euge does and put something frozen in there (frozen ice packs or ice).  During the fall and winter, I don't need to do this as much since my basement gets cool enough down there.  After about 10 -14 days or so, I'll take it out and let it warm up a little as it finishes out.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 03:40:25 pm »
I have done the cooler route too. Currently what keeps my beer fermenting cool is a chest freezer with an analog temp controller. But I've done many a batch with the ice-pack method. Cheap and easy.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 04:19:29 pm »
I have done the cooler route too. Currently what keeps my beer fermenting cool is a chest freezer with an analog temp controller. But I've done many a batch with the ice-pack method. Cheap and easy.

That's my next item.  I thought I would just build a fermentation chamber, but it's easy to find cheap freezers on CL that could hold a couple carboys/ buckets.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg