Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thomas Faucett Golden Promise specs  (Read 2719 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Thomas Faucett Golden Promise specs
« on: October 11, 2016, 04:04:59 pm »
Just purchased a sack of Thomas Faucett Golden Promise and noticed a date on the side of the package. I always assumed that those dates were best by's, but this one was stamped March 4th, 2016. I can't imagine that I would be getting that old of a sack. Any thoughts?

Also just wanted to check what people list Golden Promise as in Brunwater?  I feel like Martin has said that a 5L is a good color to go with...

Offline Stevie

Re: Thomas Faucett Golden Promise specs
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 04:32:51 pm »
I imagine the are production dates. My latest sack of fawcett is lacking all batch data. Looks like the printer was on the fritz the day mine was packed.

Offline jim atlas

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 06:42:50 pm »
Says 2.5 - 3 L on their website.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 06:46:38 pm »
Wasn't it rahr two row that worked better with bru'n water at 5L
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 06:52:42 pm »

Yep
Jon H.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 07:24:15 pm »

Yep

I wonder if this should be looked at again. Maybe it is inconsistent.  I have always made that adjustment (+3.0L) for Rahr Pale Ale and had predictable results using BrunWater. I am just finishing a sack of Rahr 2-Row and have made no adjustments with predictable results.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 07:35:06 pm »
^ there is a difference between rahr pale and pale ale malts. While both are made of domestic 2-row, pale ale is darker.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 07:42:00 pm »

Yep

I wonder if this should be looked at again. Maybe it is inconsistent.  I have always made that adjustment (+3.0L) for Rahr Pale Ale and had predictable results using BrunWater. I am just finishing a sack of Rahr 2-Row and have made no adjustments with predictable results.

Maybe, but I've only used Rahr 2 row (not their pale ale) and, at Martin's recommendation here, bumped the L up to 5L. Had great results every time.
Jon H.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 10:09:31 pm »

Yep

Maybe, but I've only used Rahr 2 row (not their pale ale) and, at Martin's recommendation here, bumped the L up to 5L. Had great results every time.
Ok, I just did some digging and Martin references Rahr "base malts" here. https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=14478.0 Apparentlywe are both correct. Still I have not had any issues with pH prediction using the specific lovibond rating from the malt analysis on the bag of 2-row pale I have now. Nor have I had any issues adding the 3L's of color to the sack of Rahr Pale Ale I am half way through. Just saying maybe this needs to be revisited.

Martin mentions his own misapplication of the correction on Rahr Pale Ale here. http://www.brews-bros.com/topic/88714-rahr-pale-ale-and-brunwater/?p=1687513

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 08:33:10 am »

Yep

Ok, I just did some digging and Martin references Rahr "base malts" here. https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=14478.0 Apparentlywe are both correct. Still I have not had any issues with pH prediction using the specific lovibond rating from the malt analysis on the bag of 2-row pale I have now. Nor have I had any issues adding the 3L's of color to the sack of Rahr Pale Ale I am half way through. Just saying maybe this needs to be revisited.

Martin mentions his own misapplication of the correction on Rahr Pale Ale here. http://www.brews-bros.com/topic/88714-rahr-pale-ale-and-brunwater/?p=1687513

Yeah, probably could be revisited. I remember Martin saying that he felt the 2 row was (possibly even purposely made) more acidic than other 2 rows which, for pale beers at least, would reduce the amount of pH adjustment needed. Regardless, I really liked it as a domestic 2 row. As said, I've never used their pale ale malt though.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 04:51:37 pm »
I also feel that he has indicated that Golden Promise also benefits from a 5L in Brunwater too. I could be totally wrong. Maybe he will add his 2 cents here.

I just looked back into my journal and see that in my last Irish Red with golden promise, I called it a 5L in brunwater and nailed my pH right at 5.4 (which I was shooting for). Now I am completely confused.