Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Question on Fermcap and Vigorous Fermentation  (Read 3387 times)

Offline parrothead

• 1st Kit
Question on Fermcap and Vigorous Fermentation
« on: August 25, 2012, 07:45:55 am »
So I have just started using Fermcap in my starter, boils and primary fermentation.  First off, whatever it is that is that makes up that substance is awesome!  It allowed me to literally not worry about boiling over in my erlenmeyer flask. I was in a rigorous boil as well.  Then while fermenting in the starter it controlled the krausen so I did not have any issues with blowoff.  I then used it again on brew day and still zero issues with boil over. It allowed me to just walk away and almost forget about it. However, unfortunately I forgot to put some in the primary before I sealed it.  The fermentation started and seemed to be going good, but then on day 5 it seemed to kick into over drive and it was bubbling out of my airlock. I switched out airlocks and checked and hour later and had the same thing. So I switched to a blowoff tube. Some wort is coming up the tube but the issue overall has been resolved. The question I have is do you think there was a possibility that there was residual Fermcap that controlled the krausen for the first 5 days and was "used" up and the yeast then began to develop more krausen on day 5?  This batch is a pumpkin ale with 2 pounds of pumpkin, 3 pounds of six row on a brown ale base recipe fermenting at 66 degrees.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Question on Fermcap and Vigorous Fermentation
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 01:04:37 am »
Are you sure your temperature was constant the entire time?  A slight increase in temperature can be enough to allow the beer to foam over.
Tom Schmidlin