Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lagering Temp Change  (Read 2573 times)

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
Lagering Temp Change
« on: August 14, 2012, 02:03:13 pm »
I brewed an Oktoberfest this past weekend. It's at about 50* right now, and after a diacetyl rest (if needed), I plan on dropping it down to about 38-40. Can I just set the temp control and be done with it, or do I need to slowly drop the temp 1-2* per day?

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: Lagering Temp Change
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 02:12:53 pm »
I have seen no benefit to lowering the temperature slowly after fermentation has finished.  I set it and forget it.  It does take about 12 hours or so for the beer to go from 60 to 35 in my system.  I get good clean beer doing it this way with good liquid German strains.  I have had less luck with Bohemian strains.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 02:47:12 pm »
I've done it both ways with no noticeable difference either way.  The yeast have completed the fermentation process and are now only doing some minimal cleanup.  This is where one wants the yeast to flocculate and the beer to clear as the lagering stage begins. Let it drop at a reasonable pace.
Ron Price

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 03:57:02 pm »
The Germans recommend dropping the temperature by no more than 2C per day.  I go 5F per day.  But I don't know how much of a difference it actually makes.
Brew on

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 04:11:14 pm »
This section does go into the details of this issue: http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fermenting_Lagers#Maturation_of_the_beer

When fermentation is completed at the warmer temperature you can cold crash the beer afterwards.

Kai

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 04:45:26 pm »
This section does go into the details of this issue: http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fermenting_Lagers#Maturation_of_the_beer

When fermentation is completed at the warmer temperature you can cold crash the beer afterwards.

Kai

It took me 20 min of staring at those graphs before coming to the conclusion that you just wrote in one sentence.