General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Kraeusen removal, what difference does it make

(1/8) > >>

Kaiser:
Based on the discussion we had here: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=486.0

I made an experiment where I brewed my Altbier with and w/o removal of the bitter Kraeusen gunk. To me the result is clear: I'll stick to Kraeusen removal for all beers since the one where the Kraeusen fell back has a very unpleasant finish for me.

Here is a write-up: Should the Kraeusen fall back into the beer?

Kai

dhacker:
Thanks Kai. Nice writeup.

Now as this is taken to the next level, the question arises, do all the different yeasts introduce different degrees of harshness from the braun hefe? 

weazletoe:
Would I be able to spoon off the krausen, each day during heavy fermentation?

Kaiser:

--- Quote from: weazletoe on February 14, 2010, 07:16:07 AM ---Would I be able to spoon off the krausen, each day during heavy fermentation?

--- End quote ---

I don't think it needs to be done each day. Removing it after the end of active fermentation  should suffice.

--- Quote from: dhacker on February 14, 2010, 07:06:40 AM ---Now as this is taken to the next level, the question arises, do all the different yeasts introduce different degrees of harshness from the braun hefe? 

--- End quote ---

I don't think it has much to do with the particular yeast strains. But I could be wrong.

Kai

hokerer:
In your "convinced that the Kraeusen needs to be skimmed or blown of", I assume the "blown off" part refers to us carboy types.  How much headspace do you think it best to start with to get the correct amount of krausen blown off without blowing off too much other stuff (if that's possible)?  Since I usually do 5.5 gallons into the primary and I just got a six gallon Better Bottle, I think I'm probably good to go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version