Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Backcountry beer  (Read 15058 times)

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Re: Backcountry beer
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 11:04:23 pm »
I will admit, I am skeptical. None of the quoted advocates was a brewer or BJCP judge, or anyone even related to beer making.  I would try it, though, just to see what it was like... But it seems like one of those "too good to be true" type of deals.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 06:52:00 am »
I started carrying beer on hiking trips. This one is from a hike on IPA day

What I found challenging is chilling the beer before drinking it. Sure it can be put into a stream for a few hours. But what if set up camp late at night and just want to eat have the beer and go to bed.

Stashing beer in streams that I will pass on the way out can work very well too.

Kai

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 07:24:08 am »
I once drank a Steel Reserve warm out of my pack on a 100 degree day. Yes, it was every bit as nasty as you would expect.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 11:57:56 am »
I started carrying beer on hiking trips. This one is from a hike on IPA day

What I found challenging is chilling the beer before drinking it. Sure it can be put into a stream for a few hours. But what if set up camp late at night and just want to eat have the beer and go to bed.

I have a hard time drinking Green Monsta ice cold - I can't imagine how it is warm. It's just way too sweet for me. Last time I was at Fenway I was hunting all over for the Harpoon IPA, but I settled for one of these and was sadly disappointed. Way too much caramel to me for a hot summer day.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 12:34:42 pm »
I have a hard time drinking Green Monsta ice cold - I can't imagine how it is warm. It's just way too sweet for me. Last time I was at Fenway I was hunting all over for the Harpoon IPA, but I settled for one of these and was sadly disappointed. Way too much caramel to me for a hot summer day.

Yea, that heavy IIPA was't exactly the best choice for a hiking beer, but it was IPA day and the other canned IPAs I picked up (Red Hook and Snapperhead) weren't easy drinkers either.

Kai

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 02:05:02 pm »
I would give it a try, although I have to say that whiskey or Bourbon is very packable.  ;)

It's a great idea though.  :)
Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
Backcountry beer
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 05:38:15 am »
I don't drink beer while hiking, usually if I am going to drink beer it is when we stop to set up camp. I like something easy drinking. And since I'm "roughing it" I tend to stay away from fancy beers. If SPAM tastes like filet mignon after a 12 mile day with 35 - 40 lbs on my back then Miller High Life in the can tastes like pure gold as well. Though, I admit, last couple times I went I took SNPA and now am eyeing Mammas Yella Pils from OB.

The other thing I have done is fill plastic bottles with my beer. This works fine though I've had it leak on occasion. Las time I went on an overnighter canoe trip I took a plastic water jug growler of my IPA and that was awesom.

And of course, I only ever take two beers because they are heavy. So if it is a twi nighter I have beer on the first night and the second night I just wish for beer. Always have whiskey though.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 05:41:04 am by majorvices »

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 08:49:11 pm »
If SPAM tastes like filet mignon after a 12 mile day with 35 - 40 lbs on my back then Miller High Life in the can tastes like pure gold as well.

Hells yes.  Perhaps I have already told you that I found an old ass can of spam in a horse camp once,
deep in the wilderness on day 6.  It was amazing. :)

My current belly needs a beer break when I head to the hills.
Might consider some sippin whisky...what do you tote it in?  Titanium flask?  ;D

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 10:06:31 pm »
If I hiked 20 miles with 100lbs in my pack and had a choice between a can of MHL or muddy water from a horse hoof print I'd have to go Texas Ranger style.

"Life's to short to drink s***ty beer!"
- Carrie Nation

Spam musubi and Guiness?  Now that's worth hiking 20 miles with 100lbs in your pack for!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 05:20:14 am »
Titanium flask!!! Now I know what to ask for for my birthday! I carry around Nalgene flasks, one or two depending on how long the trip is. ;D

Punatic: Obviously, living in Hawaiiiiwaii has made you soft as soggy pineapple pizza. Amazing how good s*** beer tastes after a serious day of roughing it. I've told this story before, I'll tell it again. The best beer I ever drank was after a 3 night back packing trip through bone dry, hard ass mountains on the Pinhoti trail along the Alabama and Georgia border. We stopped at some out bumf##kegypt gas station and the best beer they had was Miller Genuine Draft. I turned my nose up at first but I was thirsty and it was ice cold. Half way through my second one I started to lose some interest but that first one and a half was quite possibly the best beer I ever drank.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 06:19:41 am »
How about some beer concentrate to slake your yearning?   

I think the correct answer is Russian Imperial Stout, American Barleywine, etc. Carry one bottle instead of six! (or even better - get one in a can.)
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 06:50:58 am »
Half way through my second one I started to lose some interest but that first one and a half was quite possibly the best beer I ever drank.

Wow. You need to try more commercial beers. ;)
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 07:09:23 am »
Half way through my second one I started to lose some interest but that first one and a half was quite possibly the best beer I ever drank.

Wow. You need to try more commercial beers. ;)

:D Touche but the point of the matter is that when you are really, really thirsty for a beer you will be surprised how low you will stoop.  ;)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 09:32:02 am »
:D Touche but the point of the matter is that when you are really, really thirsty for a beer you will be surprised how low you will stoop.  ;)

When you say it like that, it makes you sound like a crack head.  It reminds me of a certain quote from Bob Saget in Half Baked. . .
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 09:59:31 am »
I draw the line at rubbing alcohol and Mich Ultra. Well, definitely at the Mich Ultra.  ;)

I'd love to see one of you beer snobs turn your nose up to an ice cold beer after scorching beerless on the trail for 3 or 4 days. Guarantee you would be surprised what you think tastes delicious. Would I prefer a good German style pils? Oh, absolutely. But in reality MGD is not such a bad beer. One of the better mass produced lagers along with regular old Michelobe.

I do usually draw the line at "Lite" beer though. I'd rather have ice tea at that point. But .... on the trail I have been offered a Miller Light from time to time and I am not too ashamed to say I drank it and actually wished I had another.