Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast German Lager  (Read 1885 times)

Offline fredek

• 1st Kit
Wyeast German Lager
« on: August 14, 2012, 03:08:46 pm »
I hope someone can help me out here. I purchased a package of the above-named yeast from my normal supplier last week. I live in the lower midwest where until a few days ago it has been very hot. It arrived last Wednesday and the package was hot to the touch - not boiling, you understand, but the cooler pack my supplier uses to ship yeast was evaporated. I smacked the pack as per usual, but it didn't swell up. I checked the date and it was from May 2012. I waited and gradually it started to swell until finally today (Tuesday, August 14) it was thick enough to begin stepping it up. I did so, and noticed what may be an off-odor. Since I have never used this strain before, my question is this: Has anyone had a similar experience to this one, and was the smell just something I wasn't used to and therefore unexpected? Can I still use this yeast? (I'm planning to brew this weekend.) I've been brewing for 18 years, so I'm not a novice. Thanking you in advance.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Wyeast German Lager
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 04:09:43 pm »
I would say it fermented spoiled pack nutrient, but if it swelled, I'd give it at least one step and see how it smells then.  If still bad then cut your losses.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Re: Wyeast German Lager
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 04:13:44 pm »
What was the odor you smelled.

The only living organism in a smack pack is yeast. If you got swelling you have some live yeast in there. I think you can still use the yeast if you grow more in a starter.

Kai