Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First time using a lot of Rye. Check out this Rye IPA recipe please.  (Read 3470 times)

Offline rjparjay

• 1st Kit
Rye IPA

5.5 Gal Recipe

OG: 1.068  FG: 1.017

• 8lbs American 2 Row
  • 3lbs Rye Malt
  • 1lb Flaked Rye
  • 8oz Victory
  • 8oz Aromatic

60 Min - .5oz Columbus
10 Min - .5oz Falconer's Flight
5 Min - .5oz Cascade and .5oz Falconer's Flight
Whirlpool - .5oz Cascade, .5oz Columbus, and .5oz Falconer's Flight
Dry Hop 7 Days - 1oz Cascade, 1oz Saaz, and .5 Simcoe

Yeast - US-05

Mash @ 154

What would you change in this recipe? What do you think about the amount of rye malt and flaked?

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
Re: First time using a lot of Rye. Check out this Rye IPA recipe please.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 06:23:53 pm »
First, rice hulls with that amount of Rye,

take the 60 min to .75 oz columbus, 1 oz Falconers at 30, 1 oz Cascade @ whirlpool, dry hop the Cascade & Simcoe.  The Saaz IMO will get lost.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 06:36:01 pm »
If you really want the Saaz in there (and I do like the noble + C-hop combo myself), then you need about 2 ounces of it in the dry hop. I'm not sure what your AA% is on your hops, but I'd be shooting for about 35 IBU's from the Columbus at 60 minutes and the rest from your late adds (targeting about 65-70 IBU total). May need to adjust your quantities to get where you want to be IBU-wise.

How's your water? Make sure you have enough sulfate. At least 5 grams of gypsum if you're using RO water.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline rjparjay

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 06:39:52 pm »
How's your water? Make sure you have enough sulfate. At least 5 grams of gypsum if you're using RO water.

I just moved into a new place and haven't checked the water but I'm not using R/O water. What do you think about the Rye? Will there be enough flavor from it? Is it overkill with the Malt and Flaked Rye?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
First time using a lot of Rye. Check out this Rye IPA recipe please.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 07:04:07 pm »

I just moved into a new place and haven't checked the water but I'm not using R/O water. What do you think about the Rye? Will there be enough flavor from it? Is it overkill with the Malt and Flaked Rye?

I guess my questions "why both?".  Not that you shouldn't, but you should be able to justify why every ingredient is there. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rjparjay

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 07:14:51 pm »

I guess my questions "why both?".  Not that you shouldn't, but you should be able to justify why every ingredient is there. 

Well I'm trying to get a lot of rye flavor. I've never used flaked rye before and thought it might be a much more pronounced rye flavor with it. Do or do not, there is a lot of rye.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
First time using a lot of Rye. Check out this Rye IPA recipe please.
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 07:35:51 pm »

Well I'm trying to get a lot of rye flavor. I've never used flaked rye before and thought it might be a much more pronounced rye flavor with it. Do or do not, there is a lot of rye.

I've found that rye malt has a lot more flavor than flaked rye.  IMO, the flavor kinda maxes out at about 40% rye.  For me, it's just too intense and not well integrated wilth more than that.  Others may differ.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell