Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sour Worting  (Read 23693 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Sour Worting
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2012, 09:01:11 am »
Using this method I can get pH down into the mid 2s. Typically it's 2.5-2.8, which is below what yeast likes. I generally sour wort and blend 50/50 to get my batch pH into the mid 3s. You're looking at around 50% attenuation in the mid 2s, which on a Berliner Weisse or sour Wit is fine, but maybe not on a bigger beer.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2012, 09:30:14 am »
Using this method I can get pH down into the mid 2s. Typically it's 2.5-2.8, which is below what yeast likes. I generally sour wort and blend 50/50 to get my batch pH into the mid 3s. You're looking at around 50% attenuation in the mid 2s, which on a Berliner Weisse or sour Wit is fine, but maybe not on a bigger beer.

Good info. I can't always easily brew on schedule, so I was a bit worried about overshooting on pH. Sounds like I could just add water/DME to get me back to where I wanted if necessary.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2012, 11:00:59 am »
I can tell you that a friend did a 36 hour sour mash. It was very tart and still fermented.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2012, 05:21:13 pm »
I did a 48 sour mash on a partial boil recipe. The pH dropped to 3.5, then I did the boil for 15 and hopped it.  I pitched a fresh vial of WLP001 and nothing. I figured 3 gal at 1.031 would be sufficient for a direct pitch. After 24 hrs nothing, so I added a cup of WLP001 slurry from a previous batch that had been in the fridge for a bit.  Another 24hrs and nothing. I added some DAP nutirient incase the lacto didnt leave anything. After another 24 hrs, still nothing. So in a last gasp, I "broke the glass" and added my emergencrgy sachet of S05. Finally after 96hrs from first pitch I have active fermentation, but no real krausen to speak of.

OG was 1.031. Lacto took it to 1.022. SG is now down to 1.012 and still going. This thing scared me. My two cents, pitch a lot of active yeast at high krausen and feed with plenty nutrient. The harsh acid environment is not where you want to wake up a bunch of sleepy Sacch...

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2012, 09:34:07 am »
Using this method I can get pH down into the mid 2s.

Wow, that's impressive! Do you pre-acidify to a certain point?
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2012, 11:31:11 am »
Using this method I can get pH down into the mid 2s.

Wow, that's impressive! Do you pre-acidify to a certain point?

No pre-souring, just a 1-3L sour starter made from dextrose and base grain kept in the 100*s for a few days. Then I add it to the wort, and keep the wort hot for 2-3 days.

Lately though I've been just taking off the wort that I need from my souring bucket and adding fresh wort to replace it. I don't totally drain the bucket and a lot of the lacto stays stuck to the sides of the bucket. So that's basically like pre-souring I guess.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2012, 12:50:30 pm »
Ah - like a plastic bucket horny tank. I've been throwing that idea around for awhile. Now Im collecting/enjoying commercial sours for the initial pitch.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/