Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I've lost that "new hobby" smell  (Read 10689 times)

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
Re: I've lost that "new hobby" smell
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 01:41:37 pm »
I take breaks as well, just because I have no more room for the beer. Some months I brew once a week, others I brew once a month or even skip a month.
You just can't be afraid to fail...don't be scurred lol ;)

Absolutely....don't ever get scurred or you'll quit for sure! 8)
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 02:30:09 pm »
I say this only partially tongue-in-cheek... Drink Bud Light for a few days.  You'll get interested again.   ;)

Seriously though, pick a new style that you've always wondered about.  One that changes your process in some way that is challenging.  Maybe a decoction mash, a sour beer or something else completely different. 

I get bored now and then too.  When I do, I try to find a new recipe, process step or toy, uh I mean, necessary brewing tool, to spice things up a little.  Sometimes I just put everything brewing related away and do some other hobby for a while but I'm always drawn back in in a couple of months.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 02:48:35 pm »
I guess I'll give a different slant. Brewing isn't for everyone. It's a craft and it is a craft you can spend your whole life perfecting. There is always something new to learn or something you can do to fine tune your beer. But some people aren't craftsmen at heart and that is just the way it is.

I tried to get into motorcycle mechanics. I really, really wanted to build my own custom bike. But about 1/3rd way through the project I quickly realized mechanics is not for me. It holds no interest for me. Maybe it's the same way for you.

That said, for me, the beer has always been the driving factor. When I found that I enjoyed my beer as much or more than what you can find on the shelves that is when I got addicted. And, of course, the gadgets are a lot of fun. But the beer was always what did it for me and it is what forced me to learn to start perfecting the process.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 03:16:41 pm »
I guess I'll give a different slant. Brewing isn't for everyone. It's a craft and it is a craft you can spend your whole life perfecting. There is always something new to learn or something you can do to fine tune your beer. But some people aren't craftsmen at heart and that is just the way it is.

I tried to get into motorcycle mechanics. I really, really wanted to build my own custom bike. But about 1/3rd way through the project I quickly realized mechanics is not for me. It holds no interest for me. Maybe it's the same way for you.

That said, for me, the beer has always been the driving factor. When I found that I enjoyed my beer as much or more than what you can find on the shelves that is when I got addicted. And, of course, the gadgets are a lot of fun. But the beer was always what did it for me and it is what forced me to learn to start perfecting the process.

I can agree with this. 

For a long time I really wanted to learn more programming languages and take on a big DIY development project.  Sadly, every time I would start teaching myself a new language I would, literally, fall asleep.  I finally decided that it's cool other people like to program but it's not for me.  Same with intricate wood working projects.  I'll build you a bookcase, a shelving system, a portable power system for your marching band pit (real project, by the way) but ask me to make you an intarsia wooden picture and it won't happen.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 03:52:18 pm »
Try making bread, fermented vegatables, candels, wine, sausage, kiefer, soap or cheese for a while. You'll cycle back around.

Just don't rid of any of your equipment. Some of it are multi-taskers.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 04:04:35 pm »
I'm going to throw my hat in the proverbial ring and say that competing has really driven my interest in the hobby to new heights.

I brewed with reckless abandon for around 18 batches before I got lazy with it and didn't really care what I was doing. Then I started studying to be a BJCP judge. I went through several phases with this. The first was "My beer tastes like crap! I'm gonna stop brewing." The second was, "Okay, now I've learned stuff. Let's make the best beer I can!" Slowly my brewing has gotten better and now I'm to the point where I think I brew pretty decent beer. (Stage three.)

All the while I've been entering in comps and it has really started a new interest in the hobby for me. I've made wonderful new friends, drank amazing beer and have really honed my craft. I can't speak highly enough of comps and organized homebrew events.

This ^^^^ pretty much sums it up.  Once you have won a medal at a major competition, there may be no turning back.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 04:10:46 pm »
I lost interest in the competing part of brewing years ago. Just found it a huge PITA having to package beer and ship it out.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 04:30:34 pm »
I'd agree, try some comps.  You may like it, or like Major and I, you may quickly find it a pain in the ass and quit doing it.  But it'll give you feedback on how you can tweak your beers.  Are you making your own recipes?  I have never had any interest at all in brewing others recipes (with the exception of Mdixon's wit) because to me, it holds no challenge.  What I am doing may be exactly the same as someone else (after all, you can only add Citra hops so many times...) but it's mine because it's what I wanted to make, not because I read that this is what I should make or how I should do it.  It's your beer.  F'ing it up is part of the fun.

Also, I've read brewing in kilts enhances the experience although I've n'er tried it.  And is your cooler blue?

Lastly, if you only brew a few times a year for yourself and that's all you want to do, that's fine too. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 04:33:49 pm by gmac »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 05:05:13 pm »
I'd agree, try some comps.  You may like it, or like Major and I, you may quickly find it a pain in the ass and quit doing it.  But it'll give you feedback on how you can tweak your beers.  Are you making your own recipes?  I have never had any interest at all in brewing others recipes (with the exception of Mdixon's wit) because to me, it holds no challenge.  What I am doing may be exactly the same as someone else (after all, you can only add Citra hops so many times...) but it's mine because it's what I wanted to make, not because I read that this is what I should make or how I should do it.  It's your beer.  F'ing it up is part of the fun.

Also, I've read brewing in kilts enhances the experience although I've n'er tried it.  And is your cooler blue?

Lastly, if you only brew a few times a year for yourself and that's all you want to do, that's fine too.

I think if you are not wearing a kilt while you brew, you're not brewing!!!!!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 05:28:48 pm »
#8 being bottled this weekend.
 Now it's just another Sunday in the kitchen.

My 2₵ worth:
Start kegging - bottling is a tedious chore.
Get out of the kitchen and start brewing on a larger scale.

Upgrading your equipment and techniques will upgrade your enthusiasm too.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 05:36:31 pm »

Upgrading your equipment and techniques will upgrade your enthusiasm too.

1 dollar spent on brewing buys 2 dollars worth of happiness!

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 01:11:22 am »
I've been known to take breaks up to a year, like when I've moved house and stuff. Suddenly though, I'll read an article or have a look at the AHA forum or some flavor profile will appear in my imagination and I'll become inspired again and I MUST brew.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 08:36:01 am »
thinking about this on way to work today.  I also like to get friends involved. it is fun to share the hobby and show off a bit.
Don AHA member

Offline netsteel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 09:09:27 am »
Thanks guys. I knew you'd get it. I have loved it so far, I think I just got bogged down in "diminishing returns". I think I'll just sit back and try to coast with it a while, rather than actively seeking something new. I'll work on tweaking recipes and taking it easy.
I am a member of the local homebrew club, but I really haven't tapped their resources much. That sounds like a good idea.

You guys are great!
Peace, Love, Beer!

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 10:23:12 am »

I am a member of the local homebrew club, but I really haven't tapped their resources much. That sounds like a good idea.

In my experience, your homebrew club s what you make of it. If everyone sits around and just drinks beer with no direction or focus, it makes it a lot harder. A club that is working towards making the club members better brewers through education and involvement is a wonderful thing.
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011