Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vacuum Sealers  (Read 16166 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Vacuum Sealers
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2010, 11:31:43 am »
^^^^That's a good idea. The bags are f'ing expensive.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2010, 01:24:10 pm »
^^^^That's a good idea. The bags are f'ing expensive.

A vacuum sealer is f'ing expensive too.  That's why I use the Mason jars like I stated in the third post in this very thread.
Joe

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2010, 08:49:10 pm »
I was thinking of the FoodSaver attachment for jars... :D

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline lupy

• Cellarman
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2010, 09:42:11 pm »
Foodsavers don't have to be expensive. I got a VAC 350 (no tube port) and a VAC 1050 (w/port) each for less than $5 at my local second hand store (St. Vincent DePaul, Goodwill, etc.). It took some patience to find but both work great and were near new when I found them.
I even found an older jar sealer but I can't get it to work and I can't bring myself (yet) to spend $10 on a new jar sealer attachment. As soon as my current batch of bags is done, maybe.
$2 words for a 2¢ story

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2010, 02:37:25 pm »
Another +1 on the Foodsaver

A tip for freezing meats.
Partially freeze the meat first, then it holds its shape AND liquids. Prevents having to clean up the vacuum channel

+1

Great technique that can also be used for tomatoes and other watery vegetables as well.
Ron Price

Offline 1vertical

• Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2010, 10:00:23 am »
Bump;
I am thinking about getting this technology. There are SO many  varieties and it
is pretty confusing.  I mainly want to be able to use this for Hops, meats and foods.
The pre-par- frozen method is the bomb...nice babalu nice...!  I want to get mylar bags and
I read the site for the snorkelvac seems that the mylar WILL seal with an iron and or
heat sealer IF you buy THEIR product....well these kinds of sales really make me nervous
cause I feel like I am getting set up for the proverbial TRAP....

More discussion on this please as I need to order hops and sealer technology soon....thanx in advance
 ???    ???    ???
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 10:58:14 am by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2010, 10:38:28 am »
All I can tell ya is that I bought a bottom of the line Food Saver for about $50 around 5-6 years ago.  I use cheap generic vac seal bags.  It's worked great for both hops and food.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2010, 10:57:27 am »
Bump;
More discussion on this please as I need to order hops and sealer technology soon....thanx in advance
 ???    ???    ???

Snorkels are the best, chambers are the cheapest. Tilia used to make good stuff, stay away from the latest and greatest.
With a snorkel you can use almost any kind of bag, with a chamber you need to use the textured bags, but the patent ran out so they are much cheaper than they used to be. Funny thing is - you WANT one thinking you will use the snot out of it. I had one over a decade ago. Just like exercise equipment or any other gadget - the novelty wore off and I quit using it. Now that I am growing hops I find a need for it again and I had to buy another. (sold old one on ebay ages ago.) If you're gonna pop good money - get one that is repairable, the new tilia stuff is disposable.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline ullarsskald1989

• Cellarman
  • Brewing since 1974, brewing well since 1975
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2010, 11:41:39 am »
My wife and I have a Foodsaver by Tillia, which was made in October 1989 and we bought at the BX at Offutt AFB in early 1990; got both sizes of canning jar attachments.  Still works like a champ.

We also use the Ziplock "suck-o-cheap." :D  Mixed results as written previously.
Today is a good day; to learn, to do, to love, to be...

(Ale - 1974, Wine - 1975, Mead - 1983)

Steven P Robinson, AHA Member #175298

Offline The Rabid Brewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2010, 10:19:20 pm »
The primary difference between the snorkel and foodsaver type sealers are the types of bags you can use. The foodsaver sucks from the edge of the bag or (with the newer handheld model) through a one way valve. To prevent the bag from collapsing around the suction and preventing complete evacuation, foodsaver bags are ribbed internally that allow air to flow even once they are fully collapsed. With a snorkle type vac, you push the snorkle into the bag which holds it open while it sucks the air out.

If you want use other bags, including resealing mylar bags, you have to go with a snorkel type vac. Snorklevac website warns that even then, to ensure complete evacuation, you have to have the contents of the bag as close to the snorkle as possible. I consider this a downside in that the vacuum might suck up the loose hop material, though I'd have to hear other's comments on this since I've never used one.

Interestingly, I just bought the handheld foodsaver that works with reusable bags: a huge bonus, IMHO. The bags seal with a ziplock type closure, then you press the unit to the outside where I one-way valve is located. No heat sealing, and you can reuse the bags. You can also get containers. The starter kit is reasonably priced at $29, but I got a deal on mine at $5! Seems to do a decent job.

Be interested in hearing other opinions and experiences as well. I'm sure some of these more expensive units can suck a pretty good vacuum, but realistically, you want to be using your hops relatively soon and definitely within the same year. So, it's not clear to me how important this really is. If you want to store hops long term, nitrogen evacuation is the ticket, and for this you need an expensive setup.

Brian
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 10:22:09 pm by The Rabid Brewer »
BetterBeerBlog Homebrew Contributor.

Offline The Rabid Brewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2010, 10:20:53 pm »
Oh, and as far as sealing the bags go, you want to seal the bag while the vacuum is applied. Not sure how you would do that with an iron without loosing vacuum or even why an iron is necessary for the mylar bags.
BetterBeerBlog Homebrew Contributor.

Offline 1vertical

• Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2010, 06:44:05 am »
Seems to me that you could get the snorkel device and incorporate a piece of  foam
like the type used by us brewers for stopping erlinmeyer flasks ...

that would solve the problem of getting all the air out.

Do these snorkel style units also have an accessory port that will allow use of Mason Jars????
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2010, 07:46:40 am »
Interestingly, I just bought the handheld foodsaver that works with reusable bags: a huge bonus, IMHO. The bags seal with a ziplock type closure, then you press the unit to the outside where I one-way valve is located. No heat sealing, and you can reuse the bags. You can also get containers. The starter kit is reasonably priced at $29, but I got a deal on mine at $5! Seems to do a decent job.

Keep an eye on those bags.  I used to use one of those setups with the reusable bags but, go check the bags after a week or two and I always found half of them had lost the "ziplock" seal.  Needless to say, I don't use those any longer (use the mason jar vacuum thingy now).
Joe

Offline woody8620

• 1st Kit
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2010, 08:25:47 am »
like many on this thread i use the foodsaver, old model dont rememer how old, i use it to keep dry malt extract from turning into a rock between makeing starters.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2010, 08:31:09 am »
i use it to keep dry malt extract from turning into a rock between makeing starters.

Minor thread hijack: a bigger cause of rock-like DME is holding the open bag over the boiling pot while measuring.  Steam going into the bag introduces moisture, which is the problem.  Same thing happens when measuring spices when cooking.  Do them away from the heat.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong