Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Robust Porter/Final gravity advice  (Read 5935 times)

Offline beerstache

• Cellarman
Robust Porter/Final gravity advice
« on: August 16, 2012, 03:32:48 pm »
Hello All,
Need advice on final gravity with my first attempt at a robust porter and higher mash temps.  I mashed at a higher temp. for more body at around 155-156.  It's been almost two weeks in the primary and the gravity has leveled off at around 1.022 for the past week.  The starting gravity was 1.061.  Just wondering if I can expect any more lowering of the gravity or is this normal for higher mashes due to the unfermentable dextrins?  I started with a cool fermentation and have slowly warmed it up to 70 degrees in the hopes the gravity will get lower.
Thanks All!
Tom

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Robust Porter/Final gravity advice
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 03:48:56 pm »
can you post some recipe details? 155-156 is not that high but if there's lots of crystal malt in there that might what you get.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline rjparjay

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 04:41:06 pm »
Yes, the recipe would be very helpful, and considering your mash temp I wouldn't be surprised if 22 was the final grav. You could try raising the temp a bit and give it a gentle stir to get a few extra points out of it.

Offline beerstache

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 03:47:57 pm »
Here's the grain bill: 9.5 Lbs Pale, 1 Lb Munich, 1/2# Caramuncih, 1/2# Crystal40, 1/2#Carapils, 3/4#Chocolate, and some Carafa II and Roasted Barley...
I tasted the beer when I took the gravity readings and didnt taste to sweet at all...
Thanks for the feedback!

Offline rjparjay

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 03:56:13 pm »
Yeah, looking at the recipe you have quite a few unfermentables in there. That combined with the higher mash temp is going to give you the higher FG. I'd say if it doesn't drop a few points in the next couple days then it is done.

musseldoc

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 05:33:03 am »
You are only at about 12% crystals, which is not excessive, so I think 1.022 is a bit high.  You may just have lethargic yeast or maybe under-pitched a bit.  I would pitch a bit of krausen from your next batch of ale.  I imagine a little more time at 70F where you have it will help, regardless.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 06:01:22 am »
Rouse the yeast every day or two and keep an eye on the gravity. If it doesn't taste too sweet, then RDWHAHB and package when FG is stable for a few days.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 08:59:40 am »
This situation is a good reason to do forced ferment tests if you're brewing a recipe for the first time. No guessing required.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 09:36:53 am »
What yeast did you use?  If you used WY1968, I'd say you are done.  If you used WY1056 then you may have a couple of points left.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!