Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 4 or 5 keg fridge  (Read 8288 times)

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
4 or 5 keg fridge
« on: August 29, 2012, 04:53:22 pm »
I am buying a house and at some point I want to move to a kegging set-up.  I recall there was a particular mini-fridge recommended for a kegerator, holds 2 soda kegs perfectly.

I want a 4-5 keg set-up.  I'm thinking I want ginger beer (i.e. soda) on tap, and maybe two or three styles of ale depending on how many folks I can get to drink the stuff for me (I don't drink that much but I like brewing).  I might go for a root beer tap too.

It's highly possible I'll settle for 2 types of pale ale, 2 sodas, and a cider--if I can ever make a good cider. Likely I'll have several 6 gallon fermenters just hanging around somewhere, and occasionally rack an old one into the keg and make new cider; in my experience any cider I make is horrible, but then like 5 years later I crack it open and it's like the true blood of Christ or something.  The Holy Wine is apfelwein.

That's 5 kegs.  Probably one will often be empty--I want 2 types of pale ale for variety, not capacity ... I don't drink a whole hell of a lot.

Any particular way I should do this?  One specific refrigerator?  Chest fridge? Or go with two small ones?

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: 4 or 5 keg fridge
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 05:45:06 pm »
I have a regular upright side by side fridge and I can get 4 corny kegs in the fridge side (after building a platform for them to sit on).  To do this, I had set my CO2 and nitro tanks outside the fridge.  I drilled two holes on the side of the fridge to run the gas lines.

I would recommend finding a cheap large chest freezer on CL and turning it into a keezer, which you can find several plans and videos online.  I was going to go this route, but we had a good extra fridge so I just used that.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 07:32:49 pm »
I built my keezer about a year ago with plans for 4 taps.  I think it is a 8cf chest freezer from Sears and it works great.  I've got room for four cornies in the bottom and can put the co2 tank on the compressor shelf.  I've also been able to find a few shorter/fatter cornies that fit just right on the shelf and work good for lagering or flash chilling some batches.  I recently "had to" bottle a batch I plan to age a bit and man that is a process I don't miss at all.  Search around for different plans and find what may work best for you- plenty of options.  Good luck.  My only regret....man I wish I had 6 taps.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 06:57:18 am »
Just last night I put my new collar on my chest freezer, so now I can have 6 kegs going at once.  It is a 7 or 7.2 cu ft chest freezer with 4 on the floor and two on the hump.  I went with 2 x 8 collar with 1 x 10 on the front.  This gives enough clearance for the kegs to sit on the hump with connections and still allow the cover to close.

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 01:09:45 pm »
Man 6, 8 taps, I don't drink that much.  Maybe 2 in a day on a weekend if that.  Need more friends.

So basically just whatever fits, and go with it.  Man I'm gonna have a field day with this.

Gonna have to work out how to build the bar though.  Gonna put a bar in the basement.  Guess I'll have to give functional consideration to hiding and accessing the kegerator.

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 01:47:36 pm »
I don't drink that much.

Don't worry, you will.

Even if you have only four taps, you may wish to have additional storage for aging or kegs waiting for a tap to open up, especially if you don't drink much.  That way you can brew when you want or have time, instead of having to wait until you are almost out (that's when I inevitably run out of beer). 

I have a keezer with room for four on the floor.  I am currently debating replacing the 2x6 collar (I used pieces of a redwood bed frame that was sitting in my alley at the time) with a 2x8 one so I can jam one or two more kegs in on the compressor hump.....even though I may not increase my number of taps.

Or (what I really want to do) is get a second chest freezer to use as a ferment chamber/aging cabinet or a humongous one to fit all the beer I want.

I actually almost bought a beat up commercial back bar bottle cooler (8 ft. long monster).  Guy wanted only $100 for it, and I passed cause it just was too big (wouldn't even fit in my van)....and I have been kicking myself ever since....

Although, I didn't have to justify the purchase with my wife...so I live to tell the tale.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...