Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IPA recipe help  (Read 7275 times)

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
Re: IPA recipe help
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 04:50:57 pm »
I agree with pretty much everything in here. I love magnum in all of my malt-forward beers, because it provides a clean bitterness that is very unobtrusive. In my IPAs though, I like my bitterness to stand out an fight a bit more, so I use CTZ. Simcoe/Citra is a good combo flavor wise, and maybe a half-ounce or so of each at FWH might bring out a bit more of that flavor, along with bumping up your initial IBU. Thirdly, I think you might end up a slight bit on the orange/amber side of the IPA, but I love munich in beer, it adds a lot of character without the sweetness of crystal. Sounds tasty.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 10:02:11 am »
Thanks everyone.

I am getting close to getting the recipe finalized but had one more thought. Should I used Columbus only for bittering or would it work well in the last 10 minutes of the boil?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 10:30:35 am »
I love Columbus anywhere...bittering, flavor, dry hopping....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 10:44:51 am »
I agree with pretty much everything in here. I love magnum in all of my malt-forward beers, because it provides a clean bitterness that is very unobtrusive. In my IPAs though, I like my bitterness to stand out an fight a bit more, so I use CTZ. Simcoe/Citra is a good combo flavor wise, and maybe a half-ounce or so of each at FWH might bring out a bit more of that flavor, along with bumping up your initial IBU. Thirdly, I think you might end up a slight bit on the orange/amber side of the IPA, but I love munich in beer, it adds a lot of character without the sweetness of crystal. Sounds tasty.

+1

Magnum is a good clean bittering hop. Works well with malt forward beer styles.  I like CTZ and/or Chinook in my IPA's for bittering.  I also agree with Denny in that Columbus works well all around (bittering, flavor and aroma) even as a dry hop.
Ron Price

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 11:51:35 am »
I am getting close to getting the recipe finalized but had one more thought. Should I used Columbus only for bittering or would it work well in the last 10 minutes of the boil?

Give it a good smell. If you like it then use it liberally in your late adds and dry hops. If you don't like it, then keep it for bittering. Some Columbus is more dank and pungent, some has more citrus. There's definitely some variability between Columbus crops. Frankly, I love Columbus everywhere in all its forms, but YMMV.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 12:00:35 pm »
Good advice. I will probably buy a couple of ounces and decide whether to use it late in the boil or not. I think just by replacing the Magnum with CTZ will make a big difference in my IPA...maybe it will actually taste like one this time.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 07:04:34 pm »
I just re-read the message I quoted and I did read it wrong, but I swear I have seen recipes with daily hops as the recipe.

If I recall correctly the Pliny the Elder clone recipe Vinnie has given out does progressive dry hopping over a period of days.  I'd be interested to hear what people think that brings to the hop profile over just chucking it all in at once. 

I guess it would vary the intensity of the character from each addition since it's different varieties on different days I think.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 09:10:10 am »
Brew day went well on Saturday. Here is the finalized hop scheduled for a 5 gallon batch

28 g Columbus 60 min
21 g Simcoe 10 min
21 g Citra 10 min
21 g Simcoe 5 min
21 g Citra 5 min
14 g Simcoe 0 min
14 g Citra 0 min
(just above 70 IBUs)

dry hop TBD. Thanks for the suggestions for Columbus. It smelled really good and I can see using this hop a lot more in the future.

I ended up dropping the OG to 1.063 because the WLP001 cake we were pitching onto attenuated more than I had anticipated. If we get a similar attenuation it should finish at 1.011 for an ABV around 6.8%
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 09:19:18 am by goschman »

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 03:34:02 pm »
I thought I would provide an update for the hell of it

Kegged the IPA last night after three weeks in the fermenter and the sample tasted terrific. Definitely has a strong pungent hop character that is piney and fruity. This is a redeeming batch after the last IPA attempt

Final numbers
OG - 1.063
FG - 1.009
ABV - 7.05%
IBUs - 72

Bittering addition was 29 g of Columbus and we did equal additions of Simcoe and Citra that totaled 40 g at 10, 5, and Flameout. We did not dry hop which is probably sacreligious but oh well...

As usual, I got more attenuation than desired at about 85%. We dumped this onto a yeast cake of WLP001 from a rye pale ale. Mashed at 154 as normal but will have to start increasing the temp to experiment and hopefully dropping the attenuation figures.