Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Help design portable keg setup for a weekend  (Read 2452 times)

Offline loopy

• Brewer
Help design portable keg setup for a weekend
« on: August 15, 2012, 05:23:38 pm »
I am looking for some help on brainstorming this.  A good friend is getting married next april and has asked me not only to stand in his wedding, not only to provide beer and mead, but also to handle his keg setup system for the event and weekend. 

He is getting married at a really nice 20 acre bed and breakfast in austin where after the wedding itself, the parents, the happy couple and wedding party of roughly 20 folks will continue to stay for the next three days to enjoy to scenic place, the pool, and other amenities. 

His dilemma, he intends to have multiple kegs for the wedding and weekend.  At the end of the day/weekend, he wants to end up with a semi portable keg setup he can use in the future.

Wedding day - he will have two domestic beer kegs for the official reception.  Most likely sanke style north american keg couplers.  It would be nice to have two actual taps serving two distinct beers, but a single tap and switching kegs in the background is not a deal breaker. 

Wedding night and after.  For the rest of the weekend he intends to flow through at least two more kegs.  I know he/his wife has voted for Hoegarrten as one of them, (I dont think this is sanke). 

co2 is definiatly the way to go here, and I will be using my 20 pound tank from my kegerator at home for this. 

He is thinking of having the kegs in trashcans and keep icing them over the weekend. 

--
Based on the above, what other ideas do you folks think would be good things to consider, specific parts or advice?   Any ideas on how to make a trashcan keg a little dressier?  Or go cheaper on a one use kegerator?  Looking for ideas...  sky is the limit during idea phase so any thoughts? 

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Help design portable keg setup for a weekend
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 06:59:37 pm »
I'm getting errors on this link, but I'll post it in case it fixes itself.
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/Beer_Cart_II.html

Essentially, this was a 55gal trash can - keg and ice in the can. Round tabletop or plywood on top with a hole in the center. Draft tower attached over hole. Floor length black tablecloth with hole to go over draft tower placed over tabletop and can. Looks very nice.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 08:53:10 am »
I think I would go to the local feed store and look at their
plastic livestock water tanks.  You could Ice several kegs
in that capacity and insulate the top with blankets or a cut
table top kind of affair and bring taps up thru that layer....cobra taps
may be the better way to go....
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 12:23:10 am »
thanks, I was inspired by the feedstore idea and drew up some ideas.  Still rough, but I like the direction.