Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Backcountry beer  (Read 15044 times)

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
Re: Backcountry beer
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2012, 11:05:42 am »
Just wondering if you can actually claim back-country on an island anymore? ???

The island I live on, Hawaii Island (aka the Big Island) is the size of Connecticut.  85% of the island is inaccesable by car.  65% is only accessable on foot or by helicopter.  The island contains the largest mountain in the world (Mauna Loa - an active volcano)  which is also the tallest mountain in the world when measured from its base to its peak.  The island is comprised of 5 volcanoes, one extinct, one dormant, two active, and one erupting (the one I live on - Kilauea)   

There are 13 climatic zones in the world.  Hawaii Island has 11 of those 13 climatic zones.

When I travel across the island from Hilo to Kona I take the Saddle Road which crosses the saddle between Mauna Kea (13,796ft.) and Mauna Loa (13,679ft.).  I go from sea level to the high spot on the Saddle Rd. in 45 minutes.  That high spot is at 7,369ft, which is higher than the Flatirons in Boulder.

I thought about living in Colorado, but decided it is too urban for me (and WAAAY to f-ing cold!).   ;)

It is bigger than all the other islands combined. Rental car companies forbid you from driving on saddle road.
And when you get out there in a lava field you understand why there are lava rock grills. Parker ranch is the largest private ranch in the country. I think Bear Grylls did a survival episode on Hawaii too.

As far as majors mgd/pineapple -I don't like either. But I could eat the pizza- the mgd would have to be chugged not drank, and no other optiion could be available. There are several other macro lagers I would rather have(chug). I call it "field beer" and its not meant for drinking.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2012, 12:40:36 pm »
And to all you naysayers, I guarandamntee you that if you had been in 90-100 degree heat for 3-4 days on bone dry mountains and you were handed a dripping wet, ice cold beer .... ANY BEER .... you'd drink it.

Obviously you've never had muddy hoof print water...
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2012, 02:29:43 pm »
I'd love to see one of you beer snobs turn your nose up to an ice cold beer after scorching beerless on the trail for 3 or 4 days. Guarantee you would be surprised what you think tastes delicious. Would I prefer a good German style pils? Oh, absolutely. But in reality MGD is not such a bad beer. One of the better mass produced lagers along with regular old Michelobe.

I do usually draw the line at "Lite" beer though. I'd rather have ice tea at that point. But .... on the trail I have been offered a Miller Light from time to time and I am not too ashamed to say I drank it and actually wished I had another.

I once sprinted down to a lake after reading in a hiker log that someone had left a sixer of Miller Sharp in the water under the dock.  I'd been backpacking over a week during a heat-wave. Non-alcoholic? Didn't care.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Backcountry beer
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2012, 05:28:20 am »
I'd love to see one of you beer snobs turn your nose up to an ice cold beer after scorching beerless on the trail for 3 or 4 days. Guarantee you would be surprised what you think tastes delicious. Would I prefer a good German style pils? Oh, absolutely. But in reality MGD is not such a bad beer. One of the better mass produced lagers along with regular old Michelobe.

I do usually draw the line at "Lite" beer though. I'd rather have ice tea at that point. But .... on the trail I have been offered a Miller Light from time to time and I am not too ashamed to say I drank it and actually wished I had another.

I once sprinted down to a lake after reading in a hiker log that someone had left a sixer of Miller Sharp in the water under the dock.  I'd been backpacking over a week during a heat-wave. Non-alcoholic? Didn't care.

No you didn't.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2012, 09:19:59 am »

No you didn't.

majorvices,  I could have used your vote in THIS thread. ;D

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Backcountry beer
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2012, 06:26:05 pm »

No you didn't.

I remember that thread. Meant to vote but forgot.

Offline punatic

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2012, 08:32:58 pm »
I remember that thread. Meant to vote but forgot.

See!  Unnecessary killing of brain cells with s*** beer!   :P

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2012, 08:50:36 pm »

The island I live on, Hawaii Island (aka the Big Island) is the size of Connecticut.  85% of the island is inaccesable by car.  65% is only accessable on foot or by helicopter.  The island contains the largest mountain in the world (Mauna Loa - an active volcano)  which is also the tallest mountain in the world when measured from its base to its peak.  The island is comprised of 5 volcanoes, one extinct, one dormant, two active, and one erupting (the one I live on - Kilauea)   

There are 13 climatic zones in the world.  Hawaii Island has 11 of those 13 climatic zones.

When I travel across the island from Hilo to Kona I take the Saddle Road which crosses the saddle between Mauna Kea (13,796ft.) and Mauna Loa (13,679ft.).  I go from sea level to the high spot on the Saddle Rd. in 45 minutes.  That high spot is at 7,369ft, which is higher than the Flatirons in Boulder.

I thought about living in Colorado, but decided it is too urban for me (and WAAAY to f-ing cold!).   ;)

It is bigger than all the other islands combined. Rental car companies forbid you from driving on saddle road.
And when you get out there in a lava field you understand why there are lava rock grills. Parker ranch is the largest private ranch in the country. I think Bear Grylls did a survival episode on Hawaii too.

As far as majors mgd/pineapple -I don't like either. But I could eat the pizza- the mgd would have to be chugged not drank, and no other optiion could be available. There are several other macro lagers I would rather have(chug). I call it "field beer" and its not meant for drinking.

I don't know about Parker ranch, but the King Ranch is big, but it may not be private anymore. Had to google the largest private ranch and it turns out it is this one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermejo_Park_Ranch
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2012, 08:53:14 pm »
A second trip down the Colorado through the Grand Canyon is one my bucket list. The nice thing about a river trip is that the beer floats with you. The river is cold coming out of the Glen Canyon dam, so no warm beer. Might have to take a corny or 2 the next time. That would make us the guides friends.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2012, 10:09:15 pm »

I don't know about Parker ranch, but the King Ranch is big, but it may not be private anymore. Had to google the largest private ranch and it turns out it is this one.

Sorry, guess I have to be more specific. It's the largest cattle ranch.

http://hawaiicam.com/2011/05/quick_wheres_the_largest_cattle_ranch_in_the_us/

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2012, 05:43:44 am »

Sorry, guess I have to be more specific. It's the largest cattle ranch.

http://hawaiicam.com/2011/05/quick_wheres_the_largest_cattle_ranch_in_the_us/

Having spent a lot of vacation time in Utah, I larned that the largest cattle ranch when measured by the number of cattle, is owned by the Mormon church. It is in Florida because there is more grass there than in Utah. I remember my farmer uncles explaining that they need big ranches out west because it takes a lot of acres to support one cow, but in the east they could have many cows per acre.

Sorry for the thread jack.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline punatic

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2012, 07:34:59 am »
Parker Ranch used to be the largest, but it is being sold off by the heirs.  The US military recently bought a huge piece of it and annexed it into their ajacent Pohakuloa Training Area.  Because of the high altitude in the saddle between Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa and Hualalai, the training area can simulate the battle fields in Afganastan.  High altitude helicopter flying is challenging.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline punatic

« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2012, 08:04:30 am »
The Deseret Ranches is a huge tract of undeveloped land between Orlando and Cape Canaveral owned and operated by the LDS church.  The power plant property where I worked for 15 years was next to it.  That is the power plant you see when you fly into OIA.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2012, 07:14:43 am »

No you didn't.

In my defense, I had just turned 21 and didn't know much better.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958