Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: % of Rye Malt in a Pale Ale?  (Read 8474 times)

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
Re: % of Rye Malt in a Pale Ale?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 05:28:21 am »
OG was 1.046, FG 1.009. Its not fully carbonated yet, but yeah its does seem a little thin in spite of mashing at 157. I'm thinking of adding 3/4 pd of munich and going with a no sparge for round 2 
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 05:33:05 am »
Another observation: Its not very clear at all. I'm wondering if that is common with Rye Malt? It sat for a week at 33f and I fined with gelatin along side an IPA that was dry hopped heavily, and the IPA is crystal clear. 

-Barbarosa

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 04:34:57 pm »
I am curious as to what your final observations are. I recently did a pale ale with 15% rye. After two weeks in the keg the rye character was prominent. After a couple more weeks it really mellowed out and was barely noticeable by the time the keg was kicked. I ended up liking a more mellow rye character that seemed to add more complexity than anything else.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 09:37:11 pm »
Another observation: Its not very clear at all. I'm wondering if that is common with Rye Malt? It sat for a week at 33f and I fined with gelatin along side an IPA that was dry hopped heavily, and the IPA is crystal clear.
My rye beers are never clear, there are probably a lot of proteins in rye, like there are in wheat.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 03:58:06 pm »
I am curious as to what your final observations are. I recently did a pale ale with 15% rye. After two weeks in the keg the rye character was prominent. After a couple more weeks it really mellowed out and was barely noticeable by the time the keg was kicked. I ended up liking a more mellow rye character that seemed to add more complexity than anything else.

It was never more than a background note in my beer, you really had to look for it. It was more noticeable in the nose than anything. 

-Barbarosa