General Category > Kegging and Bottling

Extra yeast at bottling

(1/5) > >>

edvinjonsson:
Would you add more yeast to a BDS that's been in the fermenter for 2 months and its about 8.5% ABV ?

corkybstewart:
It probably isn't necessary, but it wouldn't hurt to add 1/2 pack of rehydrated dry yeast.

nateo:
I'll add fresh yeast for any beer I want to carb up consistently and quickly. I recommend Red Star's Premier Cuvee or EC-1118 for bottle conditioning. Use the whole pack, they're super cheap. I'll use two packs (10g) if I'm targeting over 3 volumes in a fairly strong beer.

denny:

--- Quote from: nateo on August 18, 2012, 12:50:55 PM ---I'll add fresh yeast for any beer I want to carb up consistently and quickly. I recommend Red Star's Premier Cuvee or EC-1118 for bottle conditioning. Use the whole pack, they're super cheap. I'll use two packs (10g) if I'm targeting over 3 volumes in a fairly strong beer.

--- End quote ---

It seems like the amount of sugar, not yeast, should make the difference.  If you actually get more carbonation from more yeast, that might point to incomplete fermentation before bottling.

BTW, I've heard that several commercial breweries use T-58 for bottling.  There's such a small amount of fermentation that you don't get any flavor from it and it forms a very compact yeast cake on the bottom if the bottle.

nateo:
I'm not saying more yeast = more carbonation. Bottle conditioning to high levels of CO2 in high alcohol beer is stressful on yeast. It's common practice to use more yeast in a stressful environment than a less stressful environment. I assume the same logic holds when bottle conditioning.

FWIW Lalvin's recommended dosage for bottle conditioning sparkling wines is about 10g per 20L, or 2 packs per 5 gallons.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version