Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Conicals again  (Read 4390 times)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Conicals again
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 04:38:07 am »
To many parts to clean for me. Keep it simple in my eyes. Carboy glass or food grade plastic.
Don't you clean your siphon in between uses as well?

Yes run a bit of PBW through it in a 2Qt container and soak for a bit. 
To much to break down with conical. The more parts the more to break down and clean. For me anyways.
Sorry, I was still thinking of the Speidel still and not the topic at hand.  I'm not really interested in the conical though.  Plastic works great, is lightweight and much cheaper. 

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2014, 04:39:28 am »
Speidel fan here. Its really the only way to go. But then duh, everyone knows that. I don't seem to have any trouble harvesting yeast. Rack beer, leave a bit, swirl n pour. I dont use the spigots, they are still new. In fact the cap on the bottom is only used for dumping oxyclean or sanitizer. I would think a conical would be handy once you get up to barrel sized or larger batches. Like I can't imagine a 15 barrel speidel would be much fun to swirl n pour.

Well, it's not the most sanitary transfer what with the large opening and the lid being off the entire duration of the transfer. Since the lid is so large and my container I store yeast in has a small neck (1 gallon bottle) I have to use a funnel. Certainly not a deal breaker but it is on the con list. I think the pros outweigh the cons.
True. If you use the spigot, why not swirl and drain through the spigot?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2014, 04:41:16 am »
Speidel fan here. Its really the only way to go. But then duh, everyone knows that. I don't seem to have any trouble harvesting yeast. Rack beer, leave a bit, swirl n pour. I dont use the spigots, they are still new. In fact the cap on the bottom is only used for dumping oxyclean or sanitizer. I would think a conical would be handy once you get up to barrel sized or larger batches. Like I can't imagine a 15 barrel speidel would be much fun to swirl n pour.

Well, it's not the most sanitary transfer what with the large opening and the lid being off the entire duration of the transfer. Since the lid is so large and my container I store yeast in has a small neck (1 gallon bottle) I have to use a funnel. Certainly not a deal breaker but it is on the con list. I think the pros outweigh the cons.

Ain't no way that would work. Opening too small. Clog-city.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2014, 04:50:59 am »

Ain't no way that would work. Opening too small. Clog-city.
I suppose.  Like I said, never used my spigots. And I only repitch a time or two, so swirl and pour hasn't been a concern contamination wise for me.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2014, 11:26:55 am »
I like the idea of a conical but it wouldn't be good value for my brewing. One gallon batches are too easily brewed in 5l wine jugs. There is somebody out there selling a one gallon conical but there's no way to dump the bottom to collect the yeast so it doesn't do me any good.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline ScottBeh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2014, 03:33:45 pm »
Thanks for all the advice.  My situation is doing 10 gal and its getting to be a royal pain slinging around 2 full carboys from the brewdeck back into the barn where my ferment fridges are.  Worse I brew in a climate with 80F water supply pretty much year round and use a ice bath fed CFC into the carboys and use them as a settle tank then rack off the break after it settles, so I have to sling them into the fridge after chilling, back out to rack off, back in to ferment, back out to rack to keg.  I usually have 2-3 batches in various ferment stages so I'd have to get 3 conicals to keep up.  I ferment with temp ramping so a conical would have to be self-cooled or build a dedicated fermentation closet but that comes with a dedicated ferment temp.  I harvest yeast since I live way back in the woods and its hard here to get fresh except from yeastman.  So a cooled conical would reduce the work load by dumping cold break, then collecting yeast, but the expense is crazy money. Thinking I just need to man up and keep hauling carboys.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2014, 04:29:40 pm »
Get rid of the glass carboys! They suck! Go with plastic buckets or the Speidel tanks of Better Bottles. I've completely given up on dangerous glass carboys. Too many serious disasters with those things.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2014, 04:34:52 pm »
Get rid of the glass carboys! They suck! Go with plastic buckets or the Speidel tanks of Better Bottles. I've completely given up on dangerous glass carboys. Too many serious disasters with those things.

No joke, I got stitches after a couple of broken carboys. I use buckets and BBs now and wouldn't go back for anything.
Jon H.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2014, 08:32:09 pm »
And the Speidel fermenters have carrying handles.  That makes moving full fermenters much easier.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2014, 09:10:50 pm »
I am also a Speidel fan. I can confirm using the spigot to harvest yeast is clog city. I collect the slurry via auto siphon into a 2L bottle. The process is not great. I have to get my son to hold the tube in the bottle and keep the bottle from falling over. But, it works.

As a fermenter and cold crash vessel the Speidel is great.

My spigot doesn't leak. I use the spigot to transfer and it works pretty good. Some slurry gets in the keg but not much. One dumb mistake I have made more than once: if you have the air tight cap on for cold crash and then use the spigot to transfer you need to remember to open that cap. Otherwise, there will be back pressure and you won't get good flow. It will flow though and when you realize your mistake it's too late, air bubbles will get sucked back into the fermenter through the hose going to the keg. The air bubbles stir up the yeast cake pretty bad. Also, don't turn off the spigot too soon. It is hard to get flow started again if your down to the last 0.25 gallon.

Regarding lots of parts, I don't have a problem there. I find it very easy to clean.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2014, 05:10:53 am »
I do 10 gallon batches in my two 60 liter Spiedels, using the supplied valve - never a leak so far after dozens of batches...my only issue is lifting them out of my lager chest freezer - I need a hand from a friend with that.  I have the makings of a winch set up (using a deer hanging arrangement), but I never seem to get around to putting it together...too much brewing to do.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2014, 05:29:15 am »
I do 10 gallon batches in my two 60 liter Spiedels, using the supplied valve - never a leak so far after dozens of batches...my only issue is lifting them out of my lager chest freezer - I need a hand from a friend with that.  I have the makings of a winch set up (using a deer hanging arrangement), but I never seem to get around to putting it together...too much brewing to do.
2 ten gallon batches would be a back destroyer.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2014, 08:19:32 pm »

Do not hurt yourself.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2014, 06:21:46 pm »
I usually do 10-12 gallon batches and use the 15 gallon Curtec containers with the screw on red lids.  The lids have a seal and are tight enough to do tranfers.  Best fermenter I've found.  The hands fold away, but lifting them into the freezer does s#ck.  I would never go back to the small necked fermenters.  I still have glass carboys for extended secondary.  I would like to have a 25 gallon conical, but these fermenters work so well.  They do remind me of the larger Spiedel.
Jeff B