Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: White Labs vials?  (Read 18185 times)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Re: White Labs vials?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 03:39:18 pm »
I make a big batch of super secret special dry rub for my boston butts and store individual use portions.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline Tim Thomssen

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 05:23:23 pm »
I was going to say exchange the labels for yeast coupons at http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_customerclub.html.

However, I've never gotten around to trying to get the labels off.  From tony's post that may be easier said Goo gone worked for me.

than done.

I just throw them into a box when I'm done with them for some unspecified, future use.

Getting the labels off is easy, but you end up leaving some backing paper and glue behind.  I've never had any luck getting the glue off either so I pull the labels off, stick the labels in an envelope, and then recycle the vials.

At one point I figured that trading for free yeast coupons was the ideal way to go.  You don't have to pay shipping on the coupon unlike everything else (I doubt you have to pay shipping on the 5000 label prize)

Something happened to my post.  I have used goo gone to remove the glue after a soak, works pretty well.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 04:49:09 pm by Tim Thomssen »

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 06:38:34 am »
They're about the right size for saving seeds.

I was going to say exchange the labels for yeast coupons at http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_customerclub.html.

You just blew my mind.

Awesome. It says shops can serve as collection points for the 5000 vial reward, so I assume clubs could do the same!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 06:54:26 am »
I'm in the process of moving my yeast bank from mason jars to preforms (White Labs tubes) using something like this:

Should take up a lot less room in my fridge.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 07:32:55 am »
One thing I don't like about the WL vials is that you can't boil them for sanitation. Well you can, but they get all cloudy.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 07:41:04 am »
When the Spousal Unit packs me a salad for lunch, she uses an empty vial for salad dressing.

Great idea...I'll have to remember to do that!

I use one to store my pH meter probe. I cut a hole in the lid and the probe conveniently fits in the tube with storage solution.
Ron Price

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 09:24:58 pm »
I use them to store yeast.....what a novel concept! Seriously though....I will step up a starter, crash, and decant the yeast into sanitized vials. Basically I get 6-8 vials for every one that I buy!!  So how does WL sanitize the vials for yeast? Dry heat??

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 09:48:18 pm »
So how does WL sanitize the vials for yeast? Dry heat??

I think they come sterile out of the manufacturing process. I doubt there is much that can live in hot plastic.

UV is an option too.

Kai

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 09:56:51 pm »

I think they come sterile out of the manufacturing process. I doubt there is much that can live in hot plastic.

UV is an option too.

Kai
Hmmm....UV might be an option? Now I completely pulling this out of my....but I do a lot backpacking and I have one of these...http://www.steripen.com/classic  I wonder if I were to fill up a vial with water and use my steripen if that would sanitize the vial??   Probably easier to just continue to dunk them in Star-San.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 08:30:09 am »

UV is an option too.

Kai

But they are probably purchased without caps on them. They could use a strong acid wash followed by a rinse with sterile water.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline wiley

• Cellarman
  • Great beer - built from the ground up!
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 01:48:32 pm »

UV is an option too.

Kai

I used to do some work for one of White Labs' suppliers of the preforms -- the preforms are (somewhat suprisingly) the precursor to a two liter bottle. On the older tubes, you could take of the band that remains around the screws once the cap is off, revealing a capital "B" for Ball Corporation. Ball has since sold the plastics manufacturing division, but I can't recall who they sold the division to.

From spending a little time in a couple of the the plants, I would be surprised of Chris White hung his hat on the cleanliness of those plants. I'm sure the sterilization process for the preforms follows (at a minimum) the sanitation protocol used for filling glass bottles received from a glass plant.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 01:56:14 pm »
i take my mash pH samples with them.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Wesbrau

• Cellarman
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 03:26:56 pm »
From the fine print on Whitelabs.com Customer Club site:

"Club Members can only redeem vials twice per year."

Anyone know what this means?  Can we only send in two redemption forms per year?  Or, are we limited to receiving two coupons for free vials per year?  Thanks,
Wes

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 05:30:58 pm »
Shot glasses? I feel some tequila coming on...
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 07:03:10 pm »
I use them to store my Mentos in when I go swimming. Keeps them dry.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.