Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Racking wine, lots of sediment, adding more plums  (Read 2634 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Racking wine, lots of sediment, adding more plums
« on: August 19, 2012, 06:41:44 am »
Made a plum wine several weeks ago and it is in secondary and needs racking. I was hoping the sediment would drop more but looks like I am going to lose about 1/4 of the batch to sediment. Should I go ahead and rack off the sediment now or give it some more time to see if it collapses any more. It's been in secondary prolly three weeks.

Also, I have another gallon or so of plums in the freezer that I had planned on racking the wine onto. If I do this should I add more yeast and pectin enzyme?

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Re: Racking wine, lots of sediment, adding more plums
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 07:18:40 am »
  If it is just sediment and not haze then give it time. I usually let my plum wine sit a month or 2 after the first racking and its clears completely.

What is the purpose of adding the extra plums?
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 11:23:14 am »
just though it would punch up the aroma some. though it smells pretty "plummy now, still have the plums and wanna use them

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 01:23:10 pm »
They will probably start fermenting unless you add campden and sorbate first and let the yeast settle for a month or so then rack clean. I guess after that it would be like back sweetening with plum juice.

I have also found with fruit wine I get alot of very fine sediment that takes a long time to settle. I always put my carboy to rest where I will be racking from for a week or so before racking to the bottling bucket. That way I don't have to move it and stir up the sediment again.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee