Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rousing up sleepy yeast with a Portable Co2 Charger  (Read 3271 times)

Offline Mofo Xing

• 1st Kit
    • A Collection of Videos
Rousing up sleepy yeast with a Portable Co2 Charger
« on: August 18, 2012, 11:28:44 pm »
I was looking for a way to rouse up my yeast in a conical fermenter. I thought of hooking up my C02 system, but I didn't want to unhook it from my system and thought it might be possible that wort might fall back into the line.
The solution for me was a Cornelius Keg Portable CO2 Charger. I had to find a 1/2" to 1/8", which wasn't easy. I hooked it all up and shazzam, it worked!
If you like the idea, but don't have a conical fermenter, I would suggest using a tube and create a connector to the Portable CO2 Charger. I haven't done this part, but if you have an idea, let's hear it.

David Lester
Member of Maltose Falcons

On Tap
Red Pale Ale
Belgium Tripel
IPA by late hop additions
Pomegranate Mead

To be Made
Wheat Mango

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Rousing up sleepy yeast with a Portable Co2 Charger
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 07:17:20 am »
I have just used my CO2 tank. It only takes 2 PSI to do it. Connect, turn on the gas, crack the ball valve, close the ball valve when done, turn off the gas, disconnect.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 07:47:13 am »
That's a near idea. I think if you could get a slow and constant stream of CO2 you could even get convection on the conical that keeps the yeast roused.

Kai

Offline mrcceo

• Cellarman
  • Location - Philadelphia Area
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 02:15:57 pm »
Another option would be to use a solenoid valve attached to a digital timer that controls frequency and duration and adjust it based on how flocculent the yeast is.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 09:13:28 am »
I just use a long spoon.

Be careful which CO2 cartridges you use. Some of the ones (maybe all of them?) for paintball guns contain oil for lubrication. The kind for bicycle tubes like the one in the picture don't typically contain oil.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.