Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Considerations for 3-gallon all grain batches  (Read 17255 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Considerations for 3-gallon all grain batches
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2012, 10:57:37 am »
Also - the best bang for your buck on a 5-gallon round cooler is the Home Depot brand one. It's about $5-15 cheaper than any other one I've seen. Of course, it's not blue, so YMMV  ;)

Just wanted to point out that the Lowes 5-gallon round cooler is blue.  Pretty much the same price, too.

I haven't actually used mine for anything but serving cold water at parties, though.  Someday.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 05:59:12 pm »
I use a looped braid, in part, because it holds the braid firmly against the bottom of the tun.

My 5 gallon Rubbermaid beverage cooler has worked well for 3 gallon batches, but I don't think there's anything special about the round cooler, but any larger cooler might require a couple more quarts of Vorlauf to clear the debris.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 04:30:55 am by malzig »

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2012, 09:57:39 am »
Got the stuff to build it, that's today's project (along with my last batch of partial mash/extract brew).

I will report on the first batch when it's done!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2012, 11:30:29 am »
FWIW I've never had the braid "float". I think that is nonsense.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2012, 11:42:05 am »

Same here.  I've had it raise up when I stir, but that's no big deal.  Even if it does float, it doesn't affect anything since all the draining happens at the outlet.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2012, 12:53:25 pm »

Same here.  I've had it raise up when I stir, but that's no big deal.  Even if it does float, it doesn't affect anything since all the draining happens at the outlet.

yup. I have had the braid float, or get picked up by stirring but it has never mattered. even if 60% of the braid is sitting on top of the mash. I have considered shortening the braid to about 2 inches just to get it out of the way while I stir
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2012, 06:18:11 pm »
I've never had one "float", but an overly long braid will get caught in the paddle and be brought toward the surface. 

Once some portion of the braid rises above the surface, all the draining will occur from the portion of the braid that is submerged, so it doesn't really matter if it gets exposed. However, there is nothing to keep it from draining along the entire length if it is submerged.  The pressure is greater on the outside of the braid than the inside all along it's length, when the valve is open, so wort should enter any part of the braid that is under wort.  It is very much like why a manifold will drain along the entire length, even though there are holes well past the drainage point.

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2012, 02:40:13 pm »
OK to report on how the construction of the mash tun went...

I had not too much trouble, though I did wind up making several trips to Lowes (there ain't no hope depot 'round here, doh!)

I think the braid is too long and I will probably shorten it to about 7-8 inches. 

The 3/4 double ended nipple was too short, and the next larger size was a bit too long, so I had to use multiple washers to get it to fit tight.  It does not leak though, and I am pretty much ready to use it.

I will have to make yet another trip to the store though, because I forgot the hose for draining it into the boil pot.  D'oh!

My copy of beersmith II came in and I'm working with the program now.

I'm now searching for recipes and have a few simple ones ready.  I'm just going to do several of them without a lot of consultation, first because they're super simple and are scaled from other people's recipes that I know work (smash, IPA, pale ale etc), and second because when you ask for recipe help you often get more than you bargained for....

I am however wanting to brew a stout, and I'm going to post another thread about using beersmith II and coming up with a stout recipe.  That will be in the recipes forum if anyone is interested. 

Thanks for all the great replies!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2012, 08:45:46 am »
Did you put a washer on the inside?

The valve I put on my cooler is loosey-goosey and I can't find a the proper sized SS washer to put on the inside which I think would help stabilize it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell