Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Christmas Beer - Got questions!  (Read 11949 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Re: First Christmas Beer - Got questions!
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 08:20:38 am »
Special B will lead to underattenuation like any other Crystal Malt. Try Dark Candi Syrup instead. That will attenuate fully and give some of the same flavor and color contributions.

Since my LHBS doesn't know the breakdown of their extract, I will  switch to light extract.  Should I switch out the Dark Candi Syrup for the Belgium Dark Hard Candi?

Oops, missed the Hard Candi. Yeah, I would definitely replace the Hard Candi with Candi Syrup. You could even go up to two pounds of it on a recipe this big. It should help dry things out a bit but still provide a lot of flavor. If you do end up using 2 pounds, then I'd say use a pound of D-90 and a pound of D-180 (if you can) to up the complexity a bit.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: First Christmas Beer - Got questions!
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 09:52:47 am »
Opps, not flaked wheat but flaked oats for head retention.  I was going off of pure memory when I first posted.  Might pull back on the crystal.  What else could I add for high ABV?  Special B?

Same thing.  Any flaked grain needs to be mashed with a diastatic malt to convert the starches to sugars.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skepace

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 07:11:45 am »
What about switching from Crystal 90 to two row?  Would that be better for a winter warmer/strong ale?

Also, I'm adding spices to secondary.  Good or bad?

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 07:32:08 am »
What about switching from Crystal 90 to two row?  Would that be better for a winter warmer/strong ale?

Personally, I'd keep the Crystal 90 AND add more two row.  I find the stronger beers benefit from a slightly sweet background.  I can't comment on the spices since I personally don't like them in my Christmas beers...but that's just my own bias.  My Christmas beers tend to be more along traditional lines, ie., no spices.  That said, if I were to add spices, I would add them in secondary so they don't dominate the beer.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline skepace

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 07:49:54 am »

Personally, I'd keep the Crystal 90 AND add more two row.  I find the stronger beers benefit from a slightly sweet background.  I can't comment on the spices since I personally don't like them in my Christmas beers...but that's just my own bias.  My Christmas beers tend to be more along traditional lines, ie., no spices.  That said, if I were to add spices, I would add them in secondary so they don't dominate the beer.

Should I then cut back on the specialt grains like the black patent malt and Chocolate malt?

Offline skepace

• Cellarman
Re: Re: First Christmas Beer - Got questions!
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 09:47:01 am »
[quote author=erockrph link=topic=13365.msg169864#msg169864 date=1347546038

Oops, missed the Hard Candi. Yeah, I would definitely replace the Hard Candi with Candi Syrup. You could even go up to two pounds of it on a recipe this big. It should help dry things out a bit but still provide a lot of flavor. If you do end up using 2 pounds, then I'd say use a pound of D-90 and a pound of D-180 (if you can) to up the complexity a bit.
[/quote]

D-90 and D-180?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Re: Re: First Christmas Beer - Got questions!
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 10:58:58 am »
D-90 and D-180?

Those are the two darkest grades of Candi Syrup. They both have a lot of flavor, but the flavors are a little different. The D-90 has more toffee and caramel, while the D-180 has more dark fruit.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline skepace

• Cellarman
Re: Re: Re: First Christmas Beer - Got questions!
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 11:03:27 am »
D-90 and D-180?

Those are the two darkest grades of Candi Syrup. They both have a lot of flavor, but the flavors are a little different. The D-90 has more toffee and caramel, while the D-180 has more dark fruit.

Thanks!

Would 1 or 2 lbs of two row added to this recipe be enough?  Should I back off the 12 lbs of extract if I am adding two row??

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 07:08:42 am »
1 or 2 lbs will be plenty. you can back of the extract a bit but not much more than 1 lb.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce