Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Confused about Sept/Oct 2012 Addicted Coffee Stout recipe detail  (Read 3549 times)

Offline gglammi

• 1st Kit
  • Ox Cart Brewing, Fairfax, VA
Confused about Sept/Oct 2012 Addicted Coffee Stout recipe detail
« on: November 02, 2012, 06:22:32 am »
In the description of how to make a coffee toddy to add to the secondary for the Addicted Coffee Stout, the procedure says, "After 24 hours, open lid and lift out sack of coffee.  Pour out the remaining coffee toddy, leaving the dregs behind.  Add to secondary."

I assume that you add the liquid coffee to the secondary, not the sack of coffee, right?  The way the procedure is worded seems to infer that you dump out the coffee toddy, as in discard it. 

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but this is my first use of coffee in a beer.

Thanks.
One year of homebrewing
Bottled & drinking or drank: Christmas Ale, Macha Fuerte Tripel, Whole Grain Goodness Oatmeal Stout, Hard Working Man WeizenBock, Surly Smoke Clone, Dry Hopped Saison A & S, Better Dead Than Red IPA, 104 Degree High Noon Cream Stout, Mile Zero Blonde Ale

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Confused about Sept/Oct 2012 Addicted Coffee Stout recipe detail
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 06:41:17 am »
I can understand the question.  I didn't have anything to do with the article but I can tell you that you should throw out the grounds and use the liquid.  If you put the grounds in the secondary you will get more bitter flavor than you are looking for.

The dregs they are speaking of are the pieces that slip through the bag while the coffee was steeping.  Basically, you pour off the clear liquid and leave any solids behind.

I believe it's better to ask than assume and be wrong.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline gglammi

• 1st Kit
  • Ox Cart Brewing, Fairfax, VA
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 07:02:52 am »
Thank you Paul, that makes eminent sense.  I had this image in my mind of "dry hopping" with coffee grounds, but the logic of pouring French press coffee off of the grounds to keep it from getting bitterly astringent certainly translates to this situation.  Cheers!
One year of homebrewing
Bottled & drinking or drank: Christmas Ale, Macha Fuerte Tripel, Whole Grain Goodness Oatmeal Stout, Hard Working Man WeizenBock, Surly Smoke Clone, Dry Hopped Saison A & S, Better Dead Than Red IPA, 104 Degree High Noon Cream Stout, Mile Zero Blonde Ale

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 08:21:18 am »
Did you brew this yet?  How did you handle the coffee and did the beer turn out good?
Trey W.