Author Topic: Quick question  (Read 895 times)

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
    • View Profile
Quick question
« on: August 18, 2012, 02:21:36 PM »
So I'm brewing a big pale ale tomorrow with lots of Citra and Galaxy hops, Maris Otter and Crystal 60 and 80. I have my starter of California ale yeast on the stir plate, but then it occurred to me that I have 5 gallons of a Saison that has been sitting for about 5 weeks in the carboy. 

What do you think if I split this 10 gallon batch and racked 5 gallons onto the yeast cake of the Saison? 
The Saison yeast I have is one I obtained from on of the local brew pubs in my town and I believe is a bit of a blend.  It produced a nice estery Saison but I didn't use and temp control during fermentation.

Thoughts?
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Quick question
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 02:39:57 PM »
Sounds tasty, but don't be surprised if the hop flavors overwhelm the yeast flavors. I think galaxy and citra would be nice with a saison yeast.

Also, just as a note, if you want to make another saison, you could get away with half the cake for your pale ale probably.
In a Keg: Flanders Red Ale, Rye Altbier, Cascade/Topaz Pale
Fermenting: Flanders Red, Saison

Offline euge

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 04:31:23 PM »
Why not? DO it.

The hops' presence will start to fade fairly quickly bit you ought to be able to put this beer up for a while.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 05:35:35 AM »
Experiment with it, but as Garc says, don't go on the entire cake. Dump the slurry into a mason jar or two and use about 1/3rd of the slurry. This will save you some yeast for future batches and insure you are not over pitching.
Keith Y.
Self appointed "All Grain" section pruner

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 05:05:59 PM »
Thanks guys!  I brewed it today and did as you guys suggested and pitched only about a third of the yeast cake from the Saison.  The other 5 gallons I pitched the starter of California Ale.  I guess I'll know how it turns out in a few weeks.
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee