Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A new Nano Brewing law and the School of Beer  (Read 7560 times)

Offline mongo

• 1st Kit
A new Nano Brewing law and the School of Beer
« on: June 10, 2011, 11:38:54 am »
On Monday, Governor Lynch signed HB 262, also known as the Nanobrewing Bill, into law in New Hampshire. According to Erin Glass at the Brewer's Association, this makes New Hampshire the first state in the US to recognize nano brewing as a separate category of brewery. The annual license fee, which is $1200 yearly for a beverage manufacturer, is lowered to $240. Previous restrictions on the amount of beer that can be sold for off premise consumption (formerly 1 case per person per day) were removed. The state of New Hampshire Liquor Control Commission no longer determines the size and shape of tasting rooms for nano breweries, and allows sales for on premise consumption without a restaurant attached, albeit in tiny quantities---which we hope to fix next year. It's a step for beer freedom, and we're looking to expand on that. We're hoping to make New Hampshire the go to state for home brewers who want to turn their hobby into a profession. The text of the bill as passed is here:
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2011/HB0262.html
some bits were added by amendment after the hearings had completed, and we didn't get everything we wanted. However, we have learned how the process works, and we've also learned that beer is a bi-partisan issue---legislators like beer too.

In conjunction with the Informal University, I'm teaching a class for those interested in starting a nano brewery. It covers brewery design, siting, zoning, local, state, and federal laws and paperwork, sourcing materials (we have NO grain distributors in New Hampshire, if you need a business idea!), financing, and distribution---plus oodles of experiences in losing money, so you don't have to. The link to the School of Beer is here: http://informalu.org/Course.php?course_id=46

Cheers!
Mongo, (AKA Kevin)
Candia Road Brewing Company and the New Hampshire Brewer's Guild

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: A new Nano Brewing law and the School of Beer
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 12:42:26 pm »
Excellent news Kevin!

Definitely a step forward for our community.  :)
Ron Price

jaybeerman

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 02:44:31 pm »
Awesome.  My dream is to see America completely saturated with sub-7 bbl brewery/pubs.

Offline perogi

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 11:05:15 am »
In conjunction with the Informal University, I'm teaching a class for those interested in starting a nano brewery. It covers brewery design, siting, zoning, local, state, and federal laws and paperwork, sourcing materials (we have NO grain distributors in New Hampshire, if you need a business idea!), financing, and distribution---plus oodles of experiences in losing money, so you don't have to. The link to the School of Beer is here: http://informalu.org/Course.php?course_id=46

Cheers!
Mongo, (AKA Kevin)
Candia Road Brewing Company and the New Hampshire Brewer's Guild

Hi Mongo!

I'm interested in any and all information you might have in starting up a picobrewery.  I have a few farms in my area that are interested in selling the beer that I brew.  I probably won't make any money from it but it would be nice to cross off another item from the bucket list.

Thanks!
perogi.
aka Shawn.