Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cookies?????  (Read 5141 times)

Offline travjohn92

• Cellarman
Cookies?????
« on: August 19, 2012, 02:02:09 pm »
So my local homebrew is having a member brew competition where everybody has to use the same uncommon ingredient.  This ingredient is iced oatmeal cookies.

My thought is to crush them and put them in a grain bag during the boil, but I don't know how that will work.  I don't typically mess with a lot of nontraditional ingredients so I am at a loss on potentially the best way to incorporate.  The ingredients contain sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, dextrose and rolled oats.  I am assuming I would get some fermentables out of it if I incorporate it at the right time, but what is the right time?  Do I necessarily want any fermentables from it?  My thought is to incorporate into a stout or porter, but I don't know.

Any suggestions, thoughts, comments, suggested style, etc. would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!
Primary: Belgian Wheat IPA, Vlad the IPAler
Secondary:  Iced Oatmeal Dunkelweizen
Kegged:  Baron Von IPWEIZEN, Dunkelweizen
Bottled: De Perverse Monnik Tripel
Next Up: Bog Nog Black IPA, Wake N Bake Clone, Breadbasket Wheat

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Cookies?????
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 02:19:06 pm »
I wouldn't care about fermentables as much as flavor, so I'd put them in for the last 5-10 minutes of the boil to try to extract the spice/cookie flavors.

Stout might have too much competing roast. I think the flavors in english brown would blend nicely. I bet a lot of people will pick browns or stouts though.  A well done example in a style nobody expects might stick out more.

For ingredients, I'd go with grains that complement flavors in the cookie - maris otter, crystal 30L-ish, wheat malt maybe? Low hop bitterness to accentuate sweetness. Perhaps cheat by adding some cinnamon. Special B for a raisin note? Oats for mouthfeel might be good too.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline travjohn92

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 05:40:09 pm »
Thanks for the input.

Would you crush the cookies, slightly break them, or keep them whole?  Either way I would keep them in a grain bag.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 05:52:17 pm »
Break them up, though they'll probably fall apart in the wort anyway. Grain bag is a good idea.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 08:05:36 pm »
The above suggestions are good.  Sounds like an interesting experiment.
Just don't expect great head retention in the finished beer. 
I guess it depends on the cookies, but most cookies (the tastier ones, anyway) are made with a fair amount of fat.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 08:06:07 pm »
One idea I have is to use them in a dunkelweizen recipe that has a lot of spicy phenolic yeast character (I like WY3638 fermented in the low 60's and slightly underpitched - gives some nice cinnamon and vanilla notes to go with the typical weizen clove and banana). I'd crush the cookies and rack over them in secondary (sort of like using fruit). I have no clue how much to use, so I'd only rack over half the batch so you can then taste and blend back. With this style you don't really have to worry about cloudiness in the beer, so it should be safe to use the cookies in secondary.

Other ideas:

Oatmeal stout (but this seems a little obvious)

Sub them in for pumpkin/spice in a pumpkin ale recipe
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 08:10:14 pm »
Dry cookie in the secondary, that way you'll get the freshest cookie flavor and aroma.  I had a beer once that was kegged and served on Krispy Kreme Donuts that was exactly the flavor of fresh donuts.  Go for an American Amber style.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline cmclaughlin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 08:34:25 pm »
Are you limited on amount? If not, I'd probably incorporate a nice amount in the mash and a nice amount in secondary.

The suggestions on malt bill have been good. Just stay away from excess gravity, roasted malts, and too much hops.

Spices may play a role, but I'd suggest tasting the finished product after spending a good time on the "dry cookies" before making that call.

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 09:37:16 pm »
Can you just put them on the side of the glass? Like a lemon slice. ;)

Kai

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 10:04:26 pm »
there is brewery in Greeley, co that does a oatmeal raisin cookie stout/porter that is real good,

http://www.crabtreebrewing.com/pages/beers/stephsOatmeal.html

“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline travjohn92

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 06:23:58 am »
Are you limited on amount? If not, I'd probably incorporate a nice amount in the mash and a nice amount in secondary.

The suggestions on malt bill have been good. Just stay away from excess gravity, roasted malts, and too much hops.

Spices may play a role, but I'd suggest tasting the finished product after spending a good time on the "dry cookies" before making that call.

I am limited to one 14 oz package which is plenty.  I don't think I will even make a 5 gal batch probably 2-3 gallons at most.  If it is horrible then I don't have too much to worry about.  If it is great then I have a very limited production, high demand, collectors item that I will sell and make millions off of ;D

Offline travjohn92

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 06:33:12 am »
One idea I have is to use them in a dunkelweizen recipe that has a lot of spicy phenolic yeast character (I like WY3638 fermented in the low 60's and slightly underpitched - gives some nice cinnamon and vanilla notes to go with the typical weizen clove and banana). I'd crush the cookies and rack over them in secondary (sort of like using fruit). I have no clue how much to use, so I'd only rack over half the batch so you can then taste and blend back. With this style you don't really have to worry about cloudiness in the beer, so it should be safe to use the cookies in secondary.

Other ideas:

This is an interesting idea.  Primarily because I just racked a dunkelweizen into a keg last Tuesday.  The keg is sealed, but have not started chilling or force carbing it yet.  Would it be okay to siphon a portion of this onto the cookies and let sit for a ferw weeks (1-2, 2-3 weeks).  It didn't ferment in the lows 60's but it was high 60's (68-69 consistently) and I used your suggested WYEAST 3638.  Let me know if you think this will work.

The recipe is below. 
5lbs: Weyerman Dark Wheat
3 1/2 lbs. German 2 row pilsner
1 lb German Dark Munich
8 oz Weyermann Caramunich II
4 oz Belgian Special B

1oz Tettnang hops for 60 minutes

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 06:44:23 am »

Other ideas:

This is an interesting idea.  Primarily because I just racked a dunkelweizen into a keg last Tuesday.  The keg is sealed, but have not started chilling or force carbing it yet.  Would it be okay to siphon a portion of this onto the cookies and let sit for a ferw weeks (1-2, 2-3 weeks).  It didn't ferment in the lows 60's but it was high 60's (68-69 consistently) and I used your suggested WYEAST 3638.  Let me know if you think this will work.

The recipe is below. 
1 lb German Dark Munich
4 oz Belgian Special B

I think it will work. I find that I lose a lot of the spicy phenolics that I like with this yeast if I ferment at higher temps, but you still get a lot of nice banana/bubblegum esters. I think it would still pair nicely with the cookies.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 07:24:47 am »
I like it.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline travjohn92

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 07:31:06 am »

Other ideas:

The recipe is below. 
1 lb German Dark Munich
4 oz Belgian Special B

I think it will work. I find that I lose a lot of the spicy phenolics that I like with this yeast if I ferment at higher temps, but you still get a lot of nice banana/bubblegum esters. I think it would still pair nicely with the cookies.

What would be your recommendation for the length of time this sits on the cookies?  It will not be presented until our October meeting which will be near the end of October.

Would you carbonate at a normal dunkelweizen level when it is bottled?