Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cookies?????  (Read 5175 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Cookies?????
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 08:27:43 am »
What would be your recommendation for the length of time this sits on the cookies?  It will not be presented until our October meeting which will be near the end of October.

Would you carbonate at a normal dunkelweizen level when it is bottled?

I think you're going to have to let taste determine how long to let it sit. You will probably get a secondary fermentation from the sugars in the cookies, so once that settles down start tasting every couple of days.

As far as carbonation levels go, I'm on the fence on that one. For all my weizens I carb to 3 volumes (and I'm starting to slowly stockpile proper german hefe bottles so I can push that even higher in the future). But this is sort of at the crossroads of a spiced ale and a dunkelweizen. For a spiced ale, I'd probably want to shoot for the lower 2's. Are you carbing off a keg or in bottles? Maybe try some at like 2.2 and some at 3 volumes to see which you like better.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline travjohn92

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 08:50:50 am »
Normally I carb of a keg, but since I am only going to rack over about 1 1/2 - 2 gallons of the dunkel onto the cookies I am going to bottle carb.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't want to have a lot of this stuff just in case it is horrendous, but want just enough so if it is good I can pull it out on special occassions. 

I'll probably shoot for mid 2's on the carb level.

Thanks for the help!
Primary: Belgian Wheat IPA, Vlad the IPAler
Secondary:  Iced Oatmeal Dunkelweizen
Kegged:  Baron Von IPWEIZEN, Dunkelweizen
Bottled: De Perverse Monnik Tripel
Next Up: Bog Nog Black IPA, Wake N Bake Clone, Breadbasket Wheat

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 11:34:24 am »
Not sure if you've done this yet but I'd go for a wit.  Mash the cookies with the malt to extract what fermentables you can but the cloudiness of the wit would hide the haze you'll likely get from any flour that sneaks through.  Go heavy on the rice hulls.  The spices could work in a wit too.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 09:53:42 am »
Basic Brewing Radio has an interview with Jeff Britton, then president of the O'Fallon Garage Brewers Society, about this very subject. That club has called it the "Iron Brewer".

His Oatmeal Cookie ale is one of his rotating taps now at his new brewery. Might be a good listen.

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=basic-brewing-radio-2010 Second from the bottom of the page.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article