General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

When to Start My Starter

(1/3) > >>

mihalybaci:
I will likely be brewing up a Belgian-style tripel Next Saturday, and I figure I'll need a 3-4 liter starter. Usually my starters are about 1.5 L and I just pitch the whole volume, but I can't really do that with such a large volume. How long should I let the starter sit for maximum growth and how long should I cold crash it before brewing? Also, I'm guessing I should get the starter out of the fridge the morning of to let it warm up to room temp before pitching?

Pinski:
I like to have my starters on the stir plate for 36-48 hours and then crash for 24.  If you decant, you can get the pitch volume to room/pitch temperature in a couple hours.

a10t2:
I'd start about 4-5 days ahead of time to make sure it has time to ferment out. If it goes more quickly than expected, a couple extra days in the fridge won't hurt. No need to warm it up before pitching, unless you want to add some wort on brew day.

denny:

--- Quote from: a10t2 on August 20, 2012, 11:51:56 AM ---I'd start about 4-5 days ahead of time to make sure it has time to ferment out. If it goes more quickly than expected, a couple extra days in the fridge won't hurt. No need to warm it up before pitching, unless you want to add some wort on brew day.

--- End quote ---

This is what I do.

erockrph:
I've only done a handful of starters, because I generally brew smaller batches. I don't have a stir plate or anything like that, so I try to give myself a week. I let fermentation go for 2-3 days at room temp, then cold crash for another 3-4 days or so. It's probably longer than I need, but it gives me peace of mind.

Followup question for those with more experience than me - do you find you need more time to cold crash certain yeast strains (like belgians, weizens or lagers)?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version