General Category > Extract/Partial Mash Brewing

First Batch

<< < (8/8)

neemox:
Perfect, this seems to be simple and efficient.

Euge brings up a point I've often thought about but never done anything about. When trying to chill my wort, I usually stir, but in the process, it feels like I am subjecting myself to HSA and increasing the haze of my beer down the road. Does everyone stir their wort post-boil? Does no-one stir their wort post-boil? Does the cold break just fall out of solution once I get it in the fermenter?

euge:

--- Quote from: tschmidlin on December 03, 2012, 09:53:21 PM ---
--- Quote from: euge on December 03, 2012, 05:37:15 PM ---No pump. No ice to buy or make. No bucket or cooler to place it in. No switching anything over. No mess. And less waste of water.

--- End quote ---
Fixed that ;)

I think it's great you do it this way euge.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Tom.

I was serious about saying "no ice to make" because freezing up the bottles is a different beast altogether than making 20+ pounds of free ice. It can be quite the pain in the rear whereas after I'm done washing and drying the bottles I just pop them in the deep freeze and forget about them until the next brew session.

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: neemox on December 04, 2012, 12:12:04 AM ---Perfect, this seems to be simple and efficient.

Euge brings up a point I've often thought about but never done anything about. When trying to chill my wort, I usually stir, but in the process, it feels like I am subjecting myself to HSA and increasing the haze of my beer down the road. Does everyone stir their wort post-boil? Does no-one stir their wort post-boil? Does the cold break just fall out of solution once I get it in the fermenter?

--- End quote ---

I have not had a problem with HSA. I stir every time. It's no different than using an IC with whirlpool return. don't spash too much but I really don't think it's an issue. I get brilliantly clear beers using only irish moss and time.

After I get it down as low as I am going to with the IC I pull the chiller and gt the wort moving as a mass then let it settle and much of the cold break drops to the bottom of the kettle where I can leave it behind by slowly opening the valve into the fermenter.

tschmidlin:

--- Quote from: euge on December 04, 2012, 05:16:41 AM ---
--- Quote from: tschmidlin on December 03, 2012, 09:53:21 PM ---
--- Quote from: euge on December 03, 2012, 05:37:15 PM ---No pump. No ice to buy or make. No bucket or cooler to place it in. No switching anything over. No mess. And less waste of water.

--- End quote ---
Fixed that ;)

I think it's great you do it this way euge.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Tom.

I was serious about saying "no ice to make" because freezing up the bottles is a different beast altogether than making 20+ pounds of free ice. It can be quite the pain in the rear whereas after I'm done washing and drying the bottles I just pop them in the deep freeze and forget about them until the next brew session.

--- End quote ---
Ah, I see what you mean.  It's still making ice, but I get your point. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version