General Category > Extract/Partial Mash Brewing

First Batch

<< < (2/8) > >>

fattony:
Opening the windows for a few hours worked.  The smell is gone and all is well.  Thank you all for the tips.

sch21c:

--- Quote from: fattony on August 20, 2012, 06:08:05 AM ---Well I brewed my first batch and I do not have high hopes for it, quite a few mistakes.  I cannot wait to get it into bottles so that I can start the next batch.  I do have one question though.  How does one remove the malt aroma out of the house?  When I leave and come back, it hits me hard.  Personally, I like the smell but my wife has other opinions.

--- End quote ---

Welcome!  I'm just a few batches ahead of you, and I had the same low hopes for my first batch (pale ale) when I bottled it.  You may be very pleasantly surprised how drinkable it is when it's been bottle conditioned for a few weeks.

I've got the same issues with the malt smell in my house.  My 17 year old son (my brew partner) and I like the smell, but my wife and daughters all hate it.  I haven't tried to do a whole lot yet to deal with it.  We've been brewing in the kitchen, and here in the northeast the air conditioning doesn't get shut off until late august - early september, so windows haven't been much of an option.

Pinski:
Fortunately, everyone in my household likes the "bready" smell.  They come through the front door on starter day when I'm working in the kithchen and holler, "Pin's making beer again!"

Joe Sr.:
The smell of boiling wort was the only thing that soothed my wife's "morning sickness" with our first child.  It was actually evening sickness, about 7:00 pm or so.  If I was brewing when she came home, she didn't hurl.  If I wasn't...

Needless to say, I had free rein to brew as often as I wanted for awhile.

fattony:

--- Quote from: sch21c on August 21, 2012, 07:13:28 AM ---
--- Quote from: fattony on August 20, 2012, 06:08:05 AM ---Well I brewed my first batch and I do not have high hopes for it, quite a few mistakes.  I cannot wait to get it into bottles so that I can start the next batch.  I do have one question though.  How does one remove the malt aroma out of the house?  When I leave and come back, it hits me hard.  Personally, I like the smell but my wife has other opinions.

--- End quote ---

Welcome!  I'm just a few batches ahead of you, and I had the same low hopes for my first batch (pale ale) when I bottled it.  You may be very pleasantly surprised how drinkable it is when it's been bottle conditioned for a few weeks.

I've got the same issues with the malt smell in my house.  My 17 year old son (my brew partner) and I like the smell, but my wife and daughters all hate it.  I haven't tried to do a whole lot yet to deal with it.  We've been brewing in the kitchen, and here in the northeast the air conditioning doesn't get shut off until late august - early september, so windows haven't been much of an option.

--- End quote ---

I understand your pain.  I live in Oklahoma and the AC might not get shut off until late September early October, which really makes it hard to brew in the summertime.  We just hit a perfect spot where it was cool in the morning and hot in the afternoon and opening the windows in the morning made the smell go away rather quickly. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version