Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Help for 2nd batch newbie  (Read 1864 times)

Offline ignaciog182

• 1st Kit
Help for 2nd batch newbie
« on: August 21, 2012, 12:49:47 am »
Hi!
Im going to make my orther of ingedients for my 2nd all grain batch ever.
Can you please give me a recipe for a summer refreshing ale?
I was thinking of pale malt and mb cascade. But i dont know other malts that can make the beer fresh.
Ill also need a high temperature yeast, because ill brew it in spain and now the tempeture is really high.
Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 12:51:50 am by ignaciog182 »

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
Re: Help for 2nd batch newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 06:51:28 pm »
I'll let others suggest recipes, but I'd like to suggest you try a "swamp cooler" for fermenting in warmer weather:
http://billybrew.com/swamp-cooler-homebrew

I brewed at my dad's house a few weeks ago and they keep their A/C close to 80F. With the swamp cooler we were able to keep the fermenter at around 70F.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Help for 2nd batch newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 09:25:05 am »
As far as the refreshing warm weather beer I'd do a SMASH (single-malt & single-hop). Pale malt and something like Amarillo or Magnum or Columbus. You can do a single bittering addition @60-45 minutes (my preference) but if you use Amarillo it can also double as a flavor and aroma-hop from 30-0 minutes.

For the temperature challenged the aforementioned "swamp-cooler" with a fan blowing on it will further increase the effectiveness. It's a great way to go.

Cooper's yeast is temperature tolerant and makes a decent beer. It's one of the yeasts used in Australia.

If you get into this pursuit for the longterm I heartily recommend finding an old chest freezer or fridge to ferment in. If and when you are ready just ask any questions you have about temperature control.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline ignaciog182

• 1st Kit
Help for 2nd batch newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 03:30:57 am »
Thanks!
Finally a friend let me his cellar, the temperature should be rigth there.
But i will search for that equipment you told me, so i can brew at my home in the future.