Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sanitizing Homegrown Hops  (Read 6295 times)

Offline khillje

• Assistant Brewer
    • Twitter
Sanitizing Homegrown Hops
« on: August 09, 2012, 06:39:11 pm »
Hey there!

So I'm in CO and I've just harvested my hops (Cascades). I plan to use them on my brew this Saturday where I'll be dry hopping. How should I sanitize these?  I've heard that hops are naturally bacteria free, but considering I dry them out naturally, I'm worried that dust, etc could infect. 

1. How do I sanitize hops (if needed) w/o destroying any volatile oils?
2. How worried should I be about this?

Thanks!

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
Re: Sanitizing Homegrown Hops
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 06:49:52 pm »
You don't need to sanitize them. Your beer will be fine. Many people, including myself, have made thousands of batches of beer with home grown hops, and have had no problems. At least not from the hops.

Offline khillje

• Assistant Brewer
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 07:26:40 pm »
Awesome!! Thanks!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 09:47:24 am »
I run mine through the dishwasher, then microwave them for 20 min,. then dunk them in boiling water......

NOT!!!!

Just use 'em....you'll be fine!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beerstache

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 03:45:41 pm »
Denny, I do the same thing when I want a substitute for three year old hops for my Belgiums, Ha Ha
I prefer pellet hops for dry hopping as they are easier to add to carboys than leaf and they dissolve/soak in faster than leaf.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 04:04:25 pm »
I boil mine for 60, 30, 20, 15, 10 or 5 minutes or soak then in a 5 - 7 % alcohol solution for a week or two. No problems so far.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 04:05:13 pm »
I boil mine for 60, 30, 20, 15, 10 or 5 minutes or soak then in a 5 - 7 % alcohol solution for a week or two. No problems so far.

Pragmatic!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 03:24:31 pm »
I am getting 2 lbs of fresh hops from a local hop grower (Niwot Hops) on Thursday. I am picking them up and plan to be brewing with them a half hour later. They said there acids analysis came back and thier Cascades were 8.7 AA  :o Something about the climate and soil here so yours may be pretty high alpha too.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline khillje

• Assistant Brewer
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 11:20:43 pm »
I only dry hopped with mine. Good to know though! Haven't heard that before! My brew is in the secondary now and it smells/tastes great so far.