Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: White House Brew Recipe  (Read 42813 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: White House Brew Recipe
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 10:25:00 am »
Signed! #2300
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 12:50:38 pm »
some funny stuff on their list of recent petitions.

long ways to go to get to 25K, but hey, the homebrew petition has 4.5 times as many supporters as the petition to allow women to go topless.  I would have guessed boobs would outpoll beer by 20-30%!   ;D

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 01:08:35 pm »
Signed (pantless)
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline CB-Illinois

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 01:27:29 pm »
Came across this petition on another site and wanted to come here to tell everyone to sign...

Oh, and SIGNED

Offline jmmcfarland

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 01:31:39 pm »
Signed! #2856

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 07:44:14 am »
sort of on this subject, I'm reading this interview with the guy Obama gave a homebrew beer to recently, and the following section is confusing me...

http://obamafoodorama.blogspot.com/2012/08/meet-brad-magerkurth-man-with-secrets.html

Magerkurth also said that the bottle cap--which carries no marking, such as a Presidential seal--is "bench capped."
How beer bottles are capped is important, to maintain flavor and keep the brew stable. Bench capping allows bottles to be re-used, because the bottle top can be twisted off. It's a more expensive proposition than using a hand capping tool.

"A bench capper is about four hundred bucks," Magerkurth said, implying that the President has a pricey brewing operation.

$400?!  Is this just a confused/uninformed interviewer?  Or a guy who has supposedly homebrewed but never bought/used a bench capper?  I've got one; cost me a little over 40 bucks.  From the pic the homebrew in question certainly does not appear to be a twist-off.

anyway what am I missing?  And if there's some expensive homebrewing gadget I haven't bought yet I need to know.  ;D

thanks--
--Michael

Offline brushvalleybrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
White House Brew Recipe
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2012, 08:06:14 am »
Signed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 08:12:03 am »
sort of on this subject, I'm reading this interview with the guy Obama gave a homebrew beer to recently, and the following section is confusing me...

http://obamafoodorama.blogspot.com/2012/08/meet-brad-magerkurth-man-with-secrets.html

Magerkurth also said that the bottle cap--which carries no marking, such as a Presidential seal--is "bench capped."
How beer bottles are capped is important, to maintain flavor and keep the brew stable. Bench capping allows bottles to be re-used, because the bottle top can be twisted off. It's a more expensive proposition than using a hand capping tool.

"A bench capper is about four hundred bucks," Magerkurth said, implying that the President has a pricey brewing operation.

$400?!  Is this just a confused/uninformed interviewer?  Or a guy who has supposedly homebrewed but never bought/used a bench capper?  I've got one; cost me a little over 40 bucks.  From the pic the homebrew in question certainly does not appear to be a twist-off.

anyway what am I missing?  And if there's some expensive homebrewing gadget I haven't bought yet I need to know.  ;D

thanks--
--Michael

I have a pneumatic capper (at my brewery) that probably cost at least $400. I don't think it is any better than a standard wing or bench capper, but it is a hell of a lot faster.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2012, 04:13:29 pm »
jay carney came out and said that if the petition meets the required threshold, they will release the recipe that they planned on not releasing.

Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 04:24:51 pm »
Even if he releases the "recipe," it won't prove anything. I'm going to start a petition for Obama to release the long-form recipe so we can finally put this matter to rest.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline fatdogale

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2012, 04:28:01 pm »
#8674  Ooops, I'm #8675
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 04:31:35 pm by fatdogale »
John Childs

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2012, 05:42:37 pm »
I believe bench cappers give you a tighter seal that let's in less oxygen. Bigger breweries worry about these details. Not bench vs wing capper but the force with which the cap is pressed on. Twist-off caps, for example, also let in more O2.

Kai

Offline roguenationpatriot

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrewing Adventures With Nick Filipow
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2012, 10:54:13 pm »
Get the word out. I think it's less about the recipe as it is an opportunity to show that we brewers have a strong voice.

I'm not sure if I can sign. I'm not a citizen, but I created an account. Let's see how far I get until I see a note that only citizens can sign.

Kai
Signed it. I agree, this is a great opportunity to show that brewers are have a strong voice, and are an active in the political process. Also, it would be fun to try the presidential brew.
Be sure to check out my Blog and website at
http://homebrewblog.webs.com/
http://nickfilipow.blogspot.com/

On Tap
HomeBrews
Oaked Barrel Aged Russian Imp. Stout
English Mild
Welsh's Juice Concentrate Wine
Infused Garlic Ginger Vodka
Infused Vanillia Coffee Bean Vodka

Commercial Favorites
Weasel Boy Russian Imperial Stout
21st Amendment Back In Black
Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA
Troeg's Dreamweaver

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2012, 01:13:20 am »
I think once this is talked about on a BN show their guys will push it over 25k in a few hours . . .
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2012, 06:52:09 am »
Plan B - Use the Freedom of Information Act

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/21/white-house-beer-recipe-obama_n_1818531.html
Sign the petition.

If you look into the FOIA, you find that the White House has exemptions.

The EOP entities exempt from the provisions of the FOIA are:
•Office of Administration
•White House Office
•Office of the Vice President
•Council of Economic Advisers
•National Security Council
•Office of Policy Development
•President's Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board

From
http://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/eop/ostp/library/compliance/foia

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!