Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stout with Interesting Yeast  (Read 5270 times)

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Stout with Interesting Yeast
« on: August 07, 2012, 10:31:36 am »
I have had both wonderful and terrible experiences with stouts fermented with different yeasts.

Dupont Monk's Stout is a favorite of mine (I almost prefer it to their Saison). Stone's Belgo-Anise IRS, however, I was not pleased with.

I'm thinking about WLP670, witbier yeast, Roselare, and possibly trappist high-gravity as an experiment.

Has anyone else played with funky yeasts in dark, roasty beers?
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Stout with Interesting Yeast
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 11:14:14 am »
I've been thinking about a few things like this myself. In particular a dry stout finished with Roselare or Cantillon dregs, and an oatmeal stout fermented with a weizen yeast. I doubt I'll get to the sour stout any time soon, but a hefe-oatmeal stout split batch may be coming up this winter after my porter.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 02:11:58 pm »
That oatmeal stout with a Hefe yeast sounds interesting!  May have to give that a try.  I am planning on using the Antwerp yeast (WLP515) strain on a dark, roasty beer, when the yeast becomes available.  Sometime in November.
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline summy

• Cellarman
  • Roanoke, VA
    • Star City Brewers Guild
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 07:30:45 am »
I made a belgian style stout in the early spring and it came out very good.  I used an export stout recipe with Wyeast special strain "Belgian Stout" yeast.  Scored a 45 in a competition I entered.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
Fementing:
  *Primary -
  *Lagering -

On Tap
 *BPA
 *Denny's BVIP
 *Brunch Stout

In Bottles
 *IIPA
 *RyeIPA
 *Black IPA
 *Red IPA
 *White IPA (entered an all-IPA competition)
  *Kolsch

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 06:27:04 am »
I had this thread in mind when I was drinking some Sinebrychoff Porter last night. I definitely picked up some acidity and in small amounts it really balanced out the roastiness quite well. I was trying to think how different flavors would work with it as I was drinking it, and I think either Brett or a bit of lacto would work pretty well. I don't know if a full-blown sour fermentation with a lambic blend might be a bit much, but I'd be willing to try it if I'm splitting a batch into a few 1-gallon fermenters.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 11:46:27 am »
I had this thread in mind when I was drinking some Sinebrychoff Porter last night. I definitely picked up some acidity and in small amounts it really balanced out the roastiness quite well. I was trying to think how different flavors would work with it as I was drinking it, and I think either Brett or a bit of lacto would work pretty well. I don't know if a full-blown sour fermentation with a lambic blend might be a bit much, but I'd be willing to try it if I'm splitting a batch into a few 1-gallon fermenters.

That's what I like about having extra cornies and a wild house culture - I can pull off a gallon of just about any beer I make and dose it with critters. I'll taste in a few months, and if I like it, I'll brew the batch over and just rack it on top.

My vial of WLP670 is waiting at my LHBS. It will see at least two batches - a very simple saison and then probably something darker. Not just a "black saison"; a chocolately, roasty beer with saison yeast and brett.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/