Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Diacetyl Blindness  (Read 6271 times)

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
Diacetyl Blindness
« on: August 22, 2012, 01:35:34 pm »
This morning I received an email with some judges' comments from a competition (an APA, it did okay). One of the comments was "diacetyl", which I don't find at all when I taste it. Nor did I detect diacetyl when I took the BJCP exam where they doctored the one of the test beers with it. Is there a widely available commercial beer that just screams DIACETYL that will let me know once and for all if I'm "diacetyl blind"?

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
Re: Diacetyl Blindness
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 02:04:11 pm »
an APA may have some caramel in it which many will mistake for diacetyl.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 02:08:52 pm »
Sometimes I have trouble tasting diacetyl, but I can nearly always detect it as a slickness on the roof of my mouth.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 02:14:06 pm »
Yeah, only one of the two judges' ticked the diacetyl box on the scoresheet. The grain bill was roughly 82% pale malt, 12% honey malt, and 6% Victory malt. There's a definite honey-like (shocking!) malty sweetness to it, but nothing I would describe as "caramelly" and I didn't notice any type of slickness associated with diacetyl. Luckily, I have one bottle of it left so I can look for it one last time.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 02:17:15 pm »
You could pick up some Samuel Smith's Pale Ale.  Most people can recognize diacetyl in that beer.  Shipyard beers usually have it.  Or buy some artificial butter in the popcorn section of the grocery and sniff that for a real hit.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 02:19:08 pm »
At the homebrew club meeting last night I had my first noticeably diactyl'd beer. It tasted just like artificial popcorn butter. It was super weird. I'm not sure I'd be able to pick out a low-level of diacetyl, though.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 03:00:35 pm »
I think about 10% of folks can't smell or taste it.
Brew on

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 04:32:13 pm »
You can put a sample of the beer in the microwave for 20 seconds and see if that brings out the diacetyl. I have a medium to medium high threshold.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 07:54:51 am »
I have had diacetyl beer at club meetings, which makes me believe that the brewer must have had a higher diacetyl threshold than me.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 09:18:48 am »
There is one guy in the club who says he is blind to diacetyl - well he does say he can pick it up in theater popcorn.

There is another guy in the club that is hypersensitive to diacetyl, but says he is blind to DMS. Rolling Rock tastes like any other adjunct lager to him.

We are all diffentent. That is why there has to be more than 1 judge on a panel.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 11:31:14 am »
There is another guy in the club that is hypersensitive to diacetyl, but says he is blind to DMS. Rolling Rock tastes like any other adjunct lager to him.

You know, I was wondering if there was a commercial beer that was a good example of DMS to calibrate my palate. I haven't had the Rock in ages. I'll have to check it out.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 12:21:09 pm »

You know, I was wondering if there was a commercial beer that was a good example of DMS to calibrate my palate. I haven't had the Rock in ages. I'll have to check it out.

In BJCP class we had some. It was creamed corn to me. Considered part of the Brands flavor, though a defect by most anyone else.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline andyi

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 01:44:52 pm »

I percieve DMS as a baked bean-y aroma in my beers. I brew belgians, use primarily pils and boil for 90min.  I immersion chill it down to 140-ish before i cover the pot.  This time I whirlpooled hops for 15 min before cooling and no Van Camps in finished beer...hmmm

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 12:59:15 pm »
I did a doctored beer segment for our beer club and used artificial butter flavoring, which can be found in most grocery stores in the spices section.  I used a Bud Light as the base beer, because it is pretty much free of any taste so lends itself to being doctored.  Just a few drops in a BL and you will get the flavor. 
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 05:48:46 am »
Shipyard beers usually have it.
Sea dog and Shipyard beers, and most anything they contract brew, like the Gritty McDuff beers, are usually loaded with diacetyl.

Unfortunately, I'm very sensitive to it and it tastes foul to me.  It is a useful trait to have as a brewer, though.