Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Advice on organizing competitions?  (Read 8954 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Advice on organizing competitions?
« on: August 22, 2012, 01:46:26 pm »
Any advice on organizing a homebrew comp? My club wants to organize one, but I'm not really sure where to start.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Advice on organizing competitions?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 06:12:28 pm »
Hit me back of house..

I've got lots of stuff!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 08:01:57 pm »
Has your club done any inter-club comps for the members only?  That is a good way to start and work out any kinks.  Contact neighboring clubs who run comps and pick their brains.  You might want to start by running a limited category comp, say for session beers not to exceed 1.050 (ok 1.060 so Denny can enter).  You will need judges BJCP ranked  for a certified comp.  If you don't have them in your club, then you will need the support of out of town judges.

Hope this gets you on your way.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 05:26:03 am »
There's a lot of info here:
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/SCPCompHdbk.pdf
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 02:49:11 pm »
Jeff - thanks for the link. I must've missed that when I was looking around on the BJCP site.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 08:13:07 pm »
The first thing we did was contact our regional BJCP coordinator who recommended a local judge who would be willing to be judging director (Ron/Bluesman).  A big competition is a lot of prep work.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Bruce B

• Conference
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Overcome, Improvise, Adapt.
    • Bruce's Brewing Adventures
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 11:36:48 pm »
We host two competitions.  My suggestion would be to start with getting 4 good people to fill the competition coordinator, judge director, head steward, and cellar master positions.  Also set an entry limit that is in line with the number of judges you have.  That will help to keep the competition from getting swamped.  Finally if you haven't been to a competition, it's always helpful to see how others do it.

One last thing.  If you need an entry management system I'd recommend BCOE&M - http://www.brewcompetition.com/

Best of luck!
Prosit, Sláinte, Salute, Na Zdravi, Cheers! - Bruce
Beer Barons of Milwaukee - http://www.beerbarons.org
Coordinator - Midwinter Homebrew Competition
BJCP National, Mead, & Cider Judge
BJCP Education Director
AHA NHC Final Round Judge Coordinator

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 07:52:11 am »
Not obvious stuff from our little comp that is now a 400 entry medium sized comp.

If you competition grows, you need someone to get the word out - print fliers and electronic means. You also might need drop offs at remote locations like the LHBSs in your area, so that means pick up from those locations and transport to the judging site - this can take most of a day. Sorting is a job that can use extra help.

My wife appointed herself the title of "Queen of Swag" this year. Her job was to contact suppliers and get items to be distributed for judge and steward gifts, some cool stuff that also went to the BOS winners in beer and cider/mead, and grab bags at the end for everyone. Lots of time to contact, sort and store the items, and send thank you notes to all that contributed.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 03:52:09 pm »
How many entries per judge is a reasonable number?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 04:44:44 pm »
How many entries per judge is a reasonable number?

I'm kind of a lightweight judge.  I max out at 8 beers per flight and 2 flights per day.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 06:20:58 am »
BCJP estimates 10 minutes per entry per set of judges, but I've found that if left to set the pace themselves they'll go slower.

Ten entries per flight is probably normal. We've had some that were up to 14 and I could really tell the judges were getting tired by the end of the flight. It is tough though since you have to work with the number of entries in each category and the number of judges that show up. 

If you have mini-BOS rounds, remember that they'll need additional time at the end of the round for that.  Also, specialty categories may take longer as they are more complicated to judge.

This means two judges can judge 20 beers per day, maybe more if neccessary but that's not ideal.

Also, regarding competitors and entry forms - give specific instructions and don't be surprized when people don't follow.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 11:28:36 pm »
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I thought this would be worth mentioning.

An additional thing to keep in mind is to plan on smaller flights for the high alcohol or palate-fatiguing categories.  Stouts, Strong Ales, IPAs, Belgian Strong Ales, Bock, Spice/Herb/Veg, and Specialty should be split to around 8 per flight.  Lighter styles are ok to go with bigger flights.
Above about 12 is when guys get tired and slow.

HTH-
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline twopumpsandimsorry

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 10:33:03 am »
Our club just did one this past weekend, no one on the team had ever done one before, it was a s**t show.
I have a long list of things not to do.
Biggest thing I would suggest is consistent communication with Judges, email them early and often. Let them know as soon as you can what they will be judging and how many sessions they will be needed. We had two judges disappear between the first and second session. No idea why.
Deadline for entries should be two weeks prior to the event all beers should be in hand one week prior, sort first print entry labels second. then pull sheets. keep the pull sheets with the entries that correspond with the table so stewards can just grab and take them to the judges.
"We are here to drink beer.... and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."
Charles Bukowski

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 02:44:48 pm »

We had two judges disappear between the first and second session. No idea why.

I'm not speaking for the judges, but you answered your question in your first sentence:
Our club just did one this past weekend, no one on the team had ever done one before, it was a s**t show.

Anyway, your list of lessons learned is good and something you should write down and keep for next year. We keep a list of our lessons learned and pass it on to our next year's organizer. Definitely keeps us on the up and up throughout the years (34th annual is next February).
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article