Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: how long does dry hopping last?  (Read 4689 times)

Offline redzim

• Brewer
how long does dry hopping last?
« on: August 22, 2012, 11:33:04 am »
I have 2 cornies of NB's Two Hearted clone (didn't but their kits but used their recipe), and I added the dry hops in a tea ball when kegging after a 2 week primary. After 2 weeks in the keg it is great, but I'm wondering how long it will taste that way? IPA is not a huge mover with my buddies and it may be mostly me drinking this, which may take a month or 6 weeks.  What, if anything, will be different in 6 weeks about the hop flavors and aromas?

tx red

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: how long does dry hopping last?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 12:23:33 pm »
The hops will fade over time but I don't think you will any big changes in 4 - 6 weeks.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 05:28:37 am »
I think they fade significantly over 4-6 weeks. One of the benefits homebrewers have over commercial beer consumers, we can drink truly fresh dry hopped beers. I have rarely had a bottle of truly fresh IPA from the store shelf.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 05:30:12 am »
BTW: If IPA doesn't move fast with your buddies then  it may be time to get new buddies. ;) OTOH I think I could move 10 gallons of IPA myself in 4-6 weeks.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 05:34:04 am »
It will last longer at lower temperatures, so it those are in the serving frige you might be good.

One thing that you can do if your tea ball can be pulled out easily, is to remove it, dump the hops  and recharge with new hops.  Purge the keg. This will freshen up the aroma.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 05:56:57 am »
BTW: If IPA doesn't move fast with your buddies then  it may be time to get new buddies. ;) OTOH I think I could move 10 gallons of IPA myself in 4-6 weeks.

Hey they are connoisseurs and critics of all the Pilsners, Helles, and Bocks I make, so I think I will keep them.... more IPA for me!  ;)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 01:07:33 pm »
...And all of us being loyal AHA brewers, I am sure if it came down to good beer going stale, there are plenty of us around to help you out...
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 01:16:58 pm »
My first batch (5 gal) of the TH Clone was gone in a week.  Some help, but not much  8) 8)  I don't know the answer to your question.  Just thought I'd weigh in my IPA drinking skills!
Trey W.