Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry moss?  (Read 4399 times)

Offline andrew000141

• Assistant Brewer
Dry moss?
« on: August 22, 2012, 07:33:00 pm »
I forgot to add Irish miss in my last brew (an ipa) and its having some clearing issues. Could I "dry" Irish moss it? I don't really have enough room in my fridge to cold crash it. Should I boil the moss in a small amount of water just to be sure of sanitation? I need to tack it off the dry hops anyways
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:39:05 pm by andrew000141 »
Fermenting:
Cherry melomel

In Kegs:
Saison
Irish Red
Thanksgiving Cider
Rye Pale Ale
IIPA
Ayinger Maibock clone
Moose drool clone

Bottles:
Mead

Keep your nose out of trouble and no trouble will come to you

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Dry moss?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 07:48:57 pm »
nope. it needs to be boiled. IM helps to drop out hot break, mostly. It works in the kettle but won't work on finished beer. If you have a yeast haze you can add some fining agents like gelatin or Biofine clear, which works well. Not sure of any way to drop out a protein haze post fermentation, though.

FWIW I like my American IPAs to have a bit of haze. Not a hefeweizen haze, but a slight haze from the hop resins. In fact, if an IPA gets too clear it usually loses much hop aroma and flavor as fining agents can cause the yeast to pull out the hop resins. If it is cloudy but tastes good you may want to just leave it alone.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:51:38 pm by majorvices »

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Dry moss?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 07:50:35 pm »
Assuming that the problem is protein haze, you might be stuck. If it is the yeast, you might just need to wait it out or bottle a little cloudy. My IPA wasn't clear at bottling so I just had a little extra lees in the bottle, but the beer poured to perfectly clear into the glass.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 08:05:46 pm »
I never worry about clarity. The desire for bright beer is a by-product of modern commercial beer which is often filtered prior to packaging. IMO it has much to do with actual vs perceived "quality" other than what was previously stated by the good major.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 12:08:01 am »
Or, you could do what I do and call it a choppy wheat.  ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 07:11:14 am »
I've been meaning to try this actually. Not with the irish moss from the LBHS but with agar powder or flakes. I DID try it once but I also cold crashed too much and the beer froze a little. I have no idea if it would have worked though and I have not tried again. If you try it let me know. If you use irish moss for brewing I think you would have to puree it in the blender or food processor so it was totally liquid for it to work. shootin in the dark here though so don't take my word for it.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 07:22:00 am »
In my experience, gelatin also works on protein hazes.

Kai

Offline andrew000141

• Assistant Brewer
Dry moss?
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 09:23:06 am »
Well I racked the beer yesterday because it needed to happen so I attempted it. It seems like it won't work from your guy's responses so if it doesnt then I'll go get some gelatin. I ended up just sprinkling some at the bottom of my fermentor(my sanitation habits need to improve). As for the yeast I used wyeast  American ale and it was bubbling nicely but after about 5 days it totally stopped, so it may be a yeast issue now that you've brought that up.
Fermenting:
Cherry melomel

In Kegs:
Saison
Irish Red
Thanksgiving Cider
Rye Pale Ale
IIPA
Ayinger Maibock clone
Moose drool clone

Bottles:
Mead

Keep your nose out of trouble and no trouble will come to you

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 10:43:45 am »
Hi Andrew,

I did this once with a mead.  I boiled the Irish moss in a cup of water, cooled it and put it in the bottom of the secondary.  Then I racked the mead on top and swirled it gently to get the mixture integrated.  It worked like a charm for me.  Good luck.

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 10:51:37 am »
That's awesome Janis!

I have been wanting to find a good post ferment vegetarian friendly fining agent. I will try this on my next brew.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 11:41:26 am »
I wonder if Whirlfloc boiled in a small amount of water would be a better option if you're going to try this. Seems like it's already pretty fine and is designed to disperse easily.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 12:10:17 pm »
Despite Janis' apparent success, I'm stumped.  If it works without being boiled, it contradicts everything I know about the science of Irish moss.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 12:37:46 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrageenan

I'm not too well versed in Irish moss, but maybe it just needs to boiled somewhere in the process and not necessarily in the wort? It seems like the active ingredient is similar to gelatin.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 12:42:34 pm »
Despite Janis' apparent success, I'm stumped.  If it works without being boiled, it contradicts everything I know about the science of Irish moss.

I would assume it would have to be boiled both for sanitation and for hydration. and I still think that the powdered agar would be even better than the flaked irish mosh so the whirlfloc might be good.

I am planning a 10 gallon kolche soon, perhaps there is an experiment in the offing?

were I to do that does it seem like we would get more info from;

a) no irish moss in the boil, one fermenter dosed post fermentation one not
OR
b) irish moss in the boil, one fermenter also dosed post fermentation one not.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 01:03:55 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrageenan

I'm not too well versed in Irish moss, but maybe it just needs to boiled somewhere in the process and not necessarily in the wort? It seems like the active ingredient is similar to gelatin.

http://homebrewandchemistry.blogspot.com/2009/01/irish-moss-brief-description.html

http://homebrew.stackexchange.com/questions/936/how-does-irish-moss-work

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell