Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: porter recipe  (Read 2781 times)

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
porter recipe
« on: September 04, 2012, 10:06:50 pm »
So i'm currently planning to brew a porter (brown porter) this weekend
here is my idea
* i also my plan to add some homegrown hops, once i determine the variety if possible

Pingree Porter
brewer logo
Added By: csu007
Method: Extract
Style: Brown Porter
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Efficiency: 70%
Original Gravity:
Final Gravity:
ABV (standard):
5.24%
IBU (tinseth):
SRM (morey):
Fermentables
Amount    Fermentable    PPG    °L    Bill %
7 lb   Liquid Malt Extract - Light   35   4   82.4%
Steeping Grains
Amount    Fermentable    PPG    °L    Bill %
0.5 lb    Black Malt   28   500   5.9%
0.25 lb   Caramel / Crystal 80L   33   80   2.9%
0.25 lb   Chocolate   29   350   2.9%
0.25 lb   Carapils (Dextrine Malt)   33   1.8   2.9%
0.25 lb   Special B   34   115   2.9%
Hops
Amount    Variety    Time           AA    Type     Use
0.25 oz   Chinook   60 min   13   Pellet       Boil
0.25 oz   Willamette   60 min   4.5   Pellet       Boil
0.25 oz   Chinook   40 min   13   Pellet       Boil
0.25 oz   Willamette   35 min   4.5   Pellet       Boil
0.25 oz   Chinook   25 min   13   Pellet       Boil
0.25 oz   Willamette   15 min   4.5   Pellet       Boil
0.25 oz   Chinook   10 min   13   Pellet       Boil
0.25 oz   Willamette   5 min          4.5   Pellet       Boil
Yeast
Fermentis / Safale - Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Attenuation (avg):
   72%    
Flocculation:
   Medium
Optimum Temperature:
   59°F - 75°F    
Starter:
   No
This recipe is not shared.
Last Updated: 2012-09-04 22:04 MDT
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: porter recipe
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 08:54:53 am »
Chinook is pretty agressive for a traditional brown porter, but hey why not? Its your brew.

I also really like some English Brown Malt and or Special Roast in my porters. maybe a half pound to a pound worth total.

Special B may a bit raisin-y for my tastes, but once again try it. it may be to your liking!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 11:38:59 am »
The piney/resiny flavors from Chinook and Special-B clash on my palate. However, this doesn't mean its a rule. Its just what I happen to taste.

I do LOVE piney/resiny hops in porters/stouts, but I think it benefits to have a bit of floral/citrus hop notes to counter-balance. Otherwise the flavor is very linear, and with roasty/chocolate flavors can taste like chomping on a dirty pine cone. If those homegrown hops have floral/lemony/citrus notes, throw 'em in!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 05:03:39 pm »
So i was going to try the Brown malt suggestion but the LHBS was out of it, so i went with Amber malt. oh and the hops are thought to be Cascade, i'm thinking of rearranging my hop schedule and adding some dry hops and mixing the "cascade" throughout the boil
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 05:24:34 pm »
If you're using homegrown hops, I would recommend saving them for the end of the boil. Since there's no real way of knowing what the actual AA% is, you might as well save them for where you get the most flavor/aroma but less of an effect on your IBU's.

FWIW - Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter is one of my favorite beers, and they use Nugget, Cascade and Willamette. Even though the Stovepipe is a lot roastier than what you're going for here, I think your hop selection will be very good in a porter. The Chinook has a fairly aggressive bite when used for bittering, so just be aware of that.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer