General Category > Kegging and Bottling

How much slurry for bottle conditioning

(1/3) > >>

enso:
I have read folks recommending a packet of dry or liquid yeast when adding fresh yeast to bottle condition.  What about yeast slurry though?  I imagine it would be a minute amount.

I have a Belgian tripel I am about to bottle.  To be safe I figured I would add some yeast along with priming sugar as it has been cold conditioning for many months now.  I was going to pitch a pack of dry us-05 but a) I am out and b) I happen to have some WLP530 slurry (which was the fermenting yeast) available at the moment.

So, how much?  Maybe 5 ml's of solid slurry or is even that too much?

I plan on adding the yeast and priming solution to a keg and then transferring from the keg it is in now.  Then I can purge the air, and agitate to distribute the sugar and yeast well without fear of oxidation.  Then, bottle from the keg through picnic tap/racking cane setup at low pressure.

babalu87:
I did it once but made a small starter first. Worked out will with much less sediment than a pack of yeast.

enso:

--- Quote from: babalu87 on February 14, 2010, 09:14:07 PM ---I did it once but made a small starter first. Worked out will with much less sediment than a pack of yeast.

--- End quote ---

So did you use the wort from the starter to act as the priming sugar?

enso:
And how much yeast did you use to make the starter?  Seems like that would create more yeast than just using a packet? 

???

babalu87:
Used a 1/2 tsp of slurry and woke it up with just 100ml of slurry and cut back on the priming sugar a little.

It was a Berliner Weisse and 6.8 oz of priming sugar would give me 3.5 volumes of CO2
5.5 oz calculates out to 3 volumes.
Used 100ml 1.020 wort to get the 1/4 tsp of slurry active then added priming sugar and the active wort to the bucket and bottled.

Liked the results enough to get more scientific next time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version